Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water softener drainage problem

Posted by squirrel_girl 5 MI (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 18, 06 at 14:13

I just found out that our water softener in our new house sends salty waste water (after it cycles)through drain tile out to the woods that are in the back yard. The guys in my family tell me older systems used to send the waste water into the septic system, but the new ones don't because the salt hurts the septic's longevity.

The tree that is closest to the outlet is unhealthy. The neighbor's outlet has prevented EVERYTHING from growing in a 2'X 30' patch downhill.

How do we collect this salty waste water (40 Gal) produced weekly and prevent it from reaching the soil?
How do we reverse the damage done to the soil where it has been dumping?

Thank you for helping to save my trees.

Squirrel Girl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water softener drainage problem

the quickest way to reduce the salt concentration is to flush with lots of fresh water. Do you think you need soft water? In our area the water isn't that hard and I generally remove the system. soft water is generally used for washing.

o

Thank you for the response. It looks like flushing the system with more water will be the plan.

Unfortunately, without the softener, our plumbing fixtures and toilet get a thick deposit of scale in no time. My husband is especially worried about the scale that may be forming in the pipes where we can't clean it.

Thanks for the suggestion to flush with more water.

Squirrel Girl

o

Although the damage cannot be undone, using different water softening systems would help. The best is to check out the website given in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: water softening systems

o

sg,

Here is my $0.02. Sending the flow from the softener system to a large raised barrel to dilute it with rainwater/municipal water before sending it to the woods. Also maybe sending it to more than one location after dilution would lessen its impact. How much and how frequent of an amount are you experiencing? Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here