Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandsquid

Solar powered, 2Gal./Min. - 10psi pump??

sandsquid
15 years ago

What I would like to find is a low cost, (preferably) solar powered, non-submersible pump, with standard 3/4" garden hose fittings (in/out) to place in-line between rain barrels for transfer, or to the manifold leading to the individual rows. (Ideally at 10 PSI and 2 Gal. per minute flow rate.)

More details:

I have a system of 55 Gal. polly drums set up under each downspout as rain collection barrels, and a few barrels at the outer reaches of the property. Each barrel has a (2) standard 3/4 hose bibs installed 18" up from the bottom of the barrel (to prevent it from going completely dry and killing my fish living in the barrels used for mosquito control) and to keep from pulling sediment into the system.

Also the 2 hose bibs give me the ability to link the barrels and transfer between them should one go really low.

These are all currently GRAVITY feeding 5/8" ToroAG Blue Stripe drip tape and for the most part, itÂs working well, however due to fluctuation in the height of the tape and the low pressure I'm getting un-even emitting along the runs of drip tape.

Comments (4)

• lehua49
    15 years ago

Hi Squid,

More info please. Elevation differences of barrels, number of barrels. Elevation difference of lowest barrel to beginning of drip tape. Tape length and elevation difference from beginning to end of tape. This info is to check design of the system. Sounds like you want to have the tape to irrigate more efficiently or to automate your system. You can use a pressure regulator and filter (drip tape does get clogged) for pressure consistency to the tape.
    Talk to your local hardware or garden store for the best pumps. They can find and order what you need. Google is also useful.
    Good Luck. Aloha

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

(4) 55 gallon poly drums, all barrels are set with the bases and thus the spigots at the same height (+/- 1")
    Set with a laser level at night
    (My wife though I was crazy while doing it... but who's crazy NOW ?-)

Highest watering zone is 24" below the spigot level, lowest end of watering zone is 50"ish below spigot level.

Under normal configuration each barrel feeds it's own row of vines.

The shortest run is a 2 feet of flexible hose to 3 feet of 1/2" CPCV into 20 feet of drip tape with an elevation drop of 24" from the spigot to the tape. The tape is pretty darned level.

The longest run is 30 feet of flexible hose to about 2 feet of 1/2" CPVC to 24 feet drip tape, with an elevation drop of 36" from the spigot to the start of the tape. The end of the tape is about 18" lower.

Any time it's raining, the barrels are all cross-connected with 3/4" garden hose, not the most efficient, but eventually they all reach the same fill level.

• lehua49
    15 years ago

Hi squid,

It is a good thing for the barrels to be at the same height and linked to act as one large reservoir. Your barrel are about 4 feet high that empty to within 18" of the bottom. That gives you 33 gallons per barrel for 132 total gallons. The pressure in psi is equal to approximately 1/2 the height elevation difference (in Ft) of water. Your closest run would have 2.5 psi of average pressure and with level tape run. Your longest run has 3 psi with about 1 psi gain along the run. The ideal run of drip tube to keep pressure even along the run is about 1.5% slope. Your longest run has 18" drop over 24 feet that is about 6% slope which should make the last part of the tape push more water that the beginning.

For drip tape higher pressure would be better for uniformity and use of water. Something in the 2 gpm or 120 gph range would be a hobby or aquarium pump by Eheim. They have In-Line pumps that can be used as submersibles as well. I have never used these pumps but found them on Google. It would take you about 66 minutes to use up your 132 gal supply. Remember to filter. Be careful about supplementing Municipal water to your barrels chlorine would kill your fish. Thanks for the added info that made the picture clear. Aloha.

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Some pictures in case they help or inspire others to do similar.

linked_barrels_2

linked_barrels_2