Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
High pitch squeel from drip irrigation line

Posted by Flash48 9B (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 15:02

HELP Please: My drip irrigation line is producing a loud high pitch sound. I have a 3/4 inch PVC line that has Rainbird XBD-80 8 outlet manifolds located at 7 locations along the run of PVC pipe. Pressure flow at each manifold is controlled by a 30 psi pressure regulator. Of the 8 outlets in each manifold, I am using an average of 5 outlets per manifold. Water flow to the plant is through Rainbird 5 gph pressure compensating modules (emitters). As soon as the system turns on, the squeal noise starts and it is coming from the manifolds. I have tried cleaning the filters in each manifold and have replaced the emitters. Water flow is fine but the sound is driving me bonkers.
Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: High pitch squeel from drip irrigation line

Pressure is too high before it gets to the pressure reducer for the drip line.

o
RE: High pitch squeel from drip irrigation line

jean001a, you are absolutely spot on with your reply. Thru the process on elimination I ruled out the filters and emitters so the pressure regulator had to be the source of the noise. It is designed for an inlet pressure of 15-60PSI. My line pressure is 80PSI. I have installed a commercial grade basket filter with 40PSI regulator in line right after the anti-syphon valve and the squeal is gone. I tip my favorite garden hat to you for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here