Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oraclexml

Sprinkler / Irrigation System

oraclexml
17 years ago

Hi,

Should the sprinkler system be connected directly to the main pipe coming out of the water well or it should be connected after the Blue storage tank in the basement?

The reason for this question is, I believe the storage tank generates water pressure for the house. Will the same amount of pressure be generated at the main pipe from water well?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

AJ

Comments (3)

• gw:garden-guy
    17 years ago

If the tank is in the basement it would need an internal pump to generate pressue for the house (the other method is to place the tank above the house and let gravity generate pressure). Are there wires going to the tank? How much pressure (and volumne) the pump generates depends on the pump.

• mchristensen
    17 years ago

First, the answer to you question is NO ! You do not connect a landscape irrigation system to either pipe line.
    You need to know your system first. You need to know what the well pump can do.

The blue tank is probably a hydro-pneumatic tank. It does not 'produce pressure' and it does not need a pump inside the tank as it is not a water storage tank ( I am assuming here ). It is a pressure storage tank ( basically ). It has an air pressure cushion. It may be pressureized to 70 or 80 psi and when you have a demand for water the pressure will start decreasing to the point where the pump is energized via a pressure switch ( perhaps 50 psi ). Or it could be 50psi with the pump on at 30 psi. With this type of system it is not really the pump that provides water pressure to the house but rather the hydro tank. The pump will refill the tank ( so to speak ) and compress the air till the pressure reaches the pump cut-out pressure.

Like I said you need to know what the pump is capable of before "tapping in" somewhere. If you tap into the pump discharge you will need controls that will start and stop the pump. You may even set up another hydro tank system for the landscape irrigation, however with a larger tank. Or not. There are many ways to do this. I have tried to keep this post non-technical but your going to get technical before your done.

Hope this helps

boosterpumptech

• Dick6621
    9 years ago

First time user. Not sure this is the right place for this request. We have just moved into a new house for us that has an underground sprinkler system. The main control solenoid for the back yard is in the front yard. In order to get water to the back yard I have to open the water flow regular 100% AND unscrew the "air relief valve". This causes water to flow to the back yard solenoids BUT with relief valve loose it sprays water out to fill box (waste). Back yard solinoides do the same thing. Why and how do I fix them?