Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rainwater collection...ideas/questions

Posted by joeschmoe 6 (Ohio) (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 16:00

OK, we all know about rain barrels, collect rainwater from your roof via your downspouts.

However...can it get more elaborate? If you have a walkout basement, and your back porch is the "low point", theoretically, a lot of your property's runoff would go there. Why not put a drain in your porch that runs into an underground storage tank?

Or, if your property slopes downward to a low point, put a drain there that would collect the runoff for use later? That way, all the water and soil nutrients that run off can be "recaptured" for your own use!

You might not want to bathe in it, but for irrigation it might work quite well!

However...even as I brainstorm, I have some potential issues:

1. Dirt. Runoff has dirt in it from your lawn, garden, etc. Dirt that can clog up distribution pipes, hoses, irrigation systems, etc. Can an effective filtering system be made to remedy this? Not to mention potential chemicals like fertilizer...but again, I'm saying not to bathe in it. It would be to go right back onto the plants it ran off of to begin with when a dry spell hits.

2. Moving the water. Gutter water naturally flows down with gravity. If you're collecting water from the low point in your yard, you may have to pump it back UP somehow to a tank on another part of the property.

Am I on to something here?? Or...has it been done?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rainwater collection...ideas/questions

I've thought about this. It seems that it would - A - be VERY expensive and B - you'd need a pretty big tank that would either have to be very ugly above ground, or strong enough (read: expensive) to reside underground...which would make unclogging it pretty hard once that need arose...and it would.

o

I read about a college campus in, I think, Wyoming with a 40,000 gallon storage tank. Probably just rooftop rain, but it's a decent amount.

When I did the math, that almost doesn't seem worthwhile. A 1" watering over an acre is about 22k gallons. A college campus of many acres...you'd use that water in one irrigation cycle...and a place like WY doesn't get enough rain to replenish that very quickly.

o

JS,

You have a great idea but it has been around since the Romans or even earlier. The system you are describing is a cistern catchment system. It is used in Bermuda because they have very little ground water. Many mountain homes collect water to runoff into an elevated tank. Before systems that used pumps, surface water was collected and bucketed up for use from the cistern or well. The expensive part is pumping to where you want it used and the cost of making the storage cistern.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here