Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xman_gw

Holes in soaker hose?

xman
17 years ago

Hi,

Due to the water restriction in our area I installed soaker hoses in all my flower beds. The output of these hoses are extremely low even at high pressures, it barely wets the soil even after a hour. I was wondering if I can poke some holes in it using a needle at strategic points to increase the flow in certain parts of the hose(near large plants that require more water)?

Will this work? or just mess up the hose?

Any help appreciated.

thanks,

xman

Comments (3)

• jean001
    17 years ago

No it won't work. Yes, it will mess up the hose.

Instead, run the system longer, perhaps two hours. Then check the soil -- put a trowel in and look -- to see where the water went. Now, make a decision -- run longer still? just right? or too long?

The big advantage of such slow irrigation over other faster ones, is the even moisture throughout the soil.

• drfugawe
    17 years ago

The basic problem with soaker hose is that eventually the minerals in your water will clog the minute pores of the hose and clog it. You can try flusing it with a solvent, but I find that mine develops its own tiny pin holes over time - maybe because I increased the pressure to solve the problem you note. Eventually, I replaced the soaker hose with drip irrigation, which I find cheaper and less problematic.
    jm

• ksfarmer
    17 years ago

Some soaker hose will put water out at the rate of 1 gallon per hour per every 10 ft. of length. This can vary with pressure, length of run and water hardness. You may simply need to give it more time to adaquately do the job. 1 gallon per 10 foot isn't much water.