Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
"Flexible" pipe or other idea for watering slanted ivy section?

Posted by agoldenbee CA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 16:05

Hi all,

I'm looking for some guidance on how to deal with a problem I'm having. Well two problems actually.

There was a galvanized pipe run with 5-6 sprinkler heads to water the ivy below. The connection was to PVC below which was a problem. It was causing a lot of water collection and it seems there was a crack which then completely broke. Of course there isn't any drainage there but the leak didn't help.

Because of the ivy roots eventually pressed on the pipe and hence pressure on the single connection joint, I want to use some sort of flexible pipe into the ground so it can move slightly with pressure. Also, I'd like to run the same pipe horizontally if possible, with the vertical risers secured somehow so they are stable.

Any ideas on a product? Or is there a better solution to water this area?

I found this on Home Depot's site but not sure how thick this pipe is.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-3-4-in-x-50-ft-Flex-PVC-Pipe-37348/100373200

Is there a good 3/4 inch flexible pipe product? I know they make good pipe of spa-type solutions but not sure what to buy or where.

Also, what would you use to secure the vertical riser part (like 2 feet)? I was thinking of just hammering in rebar or metal rods and then using wire ties to secure them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: "Flexible" pipe or other idea for watering slanted ivy sectio

agb,
I thought others would come up with some good ideas before know because mine would be the standard fair. Here is my $0.02, Everything would be 3/4" PVC pipe. It is flexible enough. But I would not bury but lay it on the ground to be covered by the leaves and therefore not root affected. If you want to make it more invisible paint it dark green. Anchor with galv. or ss ground staples. The risers can be threaded nipples from threaded tees and stabilized with 3/8" rebar or plastic stakes. Place the line about a foot and a half above the low are so the runoff when the watering is shut off it can soak in the ground. Use adjustable spray heads that shoot just past 180 degrees and shoot up hill to the street. Adjust accordingly to minimize runoff. That is it. JMHO aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here