Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amzabelle

shallow well jet pump losing prime

amzabelle
16 years ago

We have just installed a shallow well and 1/2HP Wayne jet pump, all new. When we get it primed it has good pressure and water flow. The problem is it looses prime overnight. This is the configuration and what we have done. We have a 1 1/4inch galv. pipe with a 4ft well point in the ground approx. 20ft (we hit water at 15 ft.) the pipe comes up and makes a 90 degree turn into a brass spring loaded check valve. The pipe continues parallel to the ground (1 ft underground when covered back up)for about 10 ft then goes up 90 degrees about 4ft to the pump. Downstream there is a standard spigot with a hose to my garden.

Since this set up is several acres from my house and only used about every other day (to water my garden or sprinkle the kids) we have been unplugging the pump when we are finished, since there is no tank. If we leave the pump plugged in and the spigot off (no demand) the pump still cuts on after 2 min. and clicks.

My question is:

1) do we have this configured incorrectly?

2) Do new spring loaded check valves leak?

3) Do I need to install a tank? If so what kind and where do I put it in the configuration

4) How long will it take to run the pump before I should see water with my pipe lengths?

5) Are we losing prime because we unplug the pump?

Thank you, any insight would be greatly appreciated

Amy

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia