Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Broken faucet adapter on Rain Pail barrel

Posted by oldhouserichard z6 CT (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 7, 10 at 16:44

Several years ago I purchased a plastic barrel from Rainpail.com, apparently no longer in business, Last fall the fellow painting my barn slipped and landed on the faucet, breaking off a chunk of the (nylon?) threaded adapter that it screws onto. The adapter is cemented into the barrel, which is a tall half round with only a small (10" diameter) opening on top.

Any ideas about how I can a) close the opening and/or b) attach a new adapter?
(there is a second faucet at the very bottom, so if I plug up the hole I can still use it, though not as conveniently.)

Thanks for any ideas!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Broken faucet adapter on Rain Pail barrel

Hi Richard,

A picture would be nice. It is hard to visualize from your description. When you say cemented do you mean glued with epoxy? Is the adapter a thread pipe nipple of 1/2" diameter? Is the barrel shape 1/2 of a cylinder? How wide is the top of the barrel? Aloha

o

> A picture would be nice.
What's the way to do this on GW? Only a few forums allow images.

> I When you say cemented do you mean glued with epoxy?
Probably cement -- barrel and adapter are plastics of some sort

> Is the adapter a thread pipe nipple of 1/2" diameter?
Yes

> Is the barrel shape 1/2 of a cylinder? How wide is the top of the barrel?
Yes -- the top is a half circle with a diameter of ~ 28-30" . The slightly recessed fill opening is a circle about 8-9"in diameter, the whole unit is over 5' tall, and the adapter is about 20" from the bottom, just enough to get a watering can under it.

o

Richard,

If the 1/2" nipple is still sticking out of the barrel 20" up. The cut off any remaining threads and epoxy on a cap to close it. If you want to use it again, then cut of any threads, using pvc glue, slide on a pvc 1/2" coupling with slip-on side and the other side of the coupling threaded. Glue on coupling and thread in new faucet. Do you want to screen off the top hole(9" dia)or close it air tight? The barrel needs to have air to the top of the barrel to provide atmospheric pressure in the barrel above the water. The barrel produces very little water pressure so any patch or hole can be sanded and epoxied in place and will hold against the minor pressure(better done from the inside). With the barrel full there is only approx. 2.5 psi at the bottom and as the water level drops the pressure rapidly decreases. The higher outlet pipe has even less. To increase flow, increase the size(dia) of the outlets to 3/4" or bigger.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here