Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rainbird Controller

Posted by skiffrob none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 19:36

I had an Irritrol Junior Max controller for my sprinkler system that recently went on the fritz and was told that it wasn't repairable. I bought a Rainbird ESP 6 TM and thought I would try and replace it myself but of course with little knowledge on the subject I have run into a problem. the Junior Max had two spots labeled "C" for what I understand are the Common white wires. My problem is that the Rainbird only has one marked "C" so I don't know where to hook up the second white wire. The only spot left is the one marked "MC" for Master Valve. The other problem is that when I try to run it manually the fuse keeps blowing.
Have I bought the wrong type of controller?
Many thanks for any help you can give.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rainbird Controller

You will need to combine the two white wires into one and put it in the single C spot.

The fuse will keep blowing usually if you have a bad solenoid. Usually when it gets to that station.
You can use a volt/multimeter to test for bad solenoids.

Checking solenoids and field wires
1) Set meter to OHMs
2) Set range to 200
3) Remove common wire
4) Hold tip of black probe to common wire
5) Touch red probe to each station screw
**Short circuit/Bad solenoid/Wire=0-12 ohms
**12-60 ohms Good solenoid
**High numbers=corroded wire
**200+ common broken

http://help.rainbird.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/79/~/i-have-a-blown-fuse.-what-do-i-do%3F

o
RE: Rainbird Controller

Thank you - I have combined the whites and I seem to have fixed the fuse problem by going up to the next MA. I now have a fully functioning sprinkler system again, just in time for the hot dry weather we are having.
Many thanks for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here