Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sprinkler System Issue

Posted by garydg (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 21:38

The former homeowner removed the sprinkler control box and I am left with wires, that went to the valves, hanging out the wall.

The valves are remote, that is adjacent to the sprinklers, and there is a common water supply line that goes to each remote valve.

This setup was done approximately 25 years ago.

I am interested in finding out if anyone is familiar with what the standard wire colors are for say common and power.

I have seven circuits. There are three types of wires coming out of the wall: 3 white (ga 12), 2 black(ga 12), and a sheathed wire containing four wires that are approximately 16ga.

Any idea how this should be connected to a standard controller?

txs

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sprinkler System Issue

txs,

Your description needs some more info. Are you capable of testing the wires for voltage. Do you know the power source(on/off switch or breaker) of the larger wires since they are coming out of the wall. The source voltage will be 120V and the smaller wires will be 24V after leaving the controllers transformer. I assume the controller was inside somewhere. If you are not familiar with electrical troubleshooting, I would recommend you have a landscaper/irrigation set your system up. You will probably get a warranty with effort as well. JMHO Aloha

o

lehua13

Thanks for your response. I was hoping there was a "standard" color coding for the wires that would allow me to solve my problem more quickly.

I did not know where most of the valves were in the yard (1 acre) so that added to the complexity.

In the end, through a combination of an in-ground wire locator (the type used typically for locating buried pet fences) and a wire sensing unit (transmitter attached to the wire and a hand held unit that make a sound when the transmitted wire is found on the other end) I was able to label all wires, hook them up to a controller and get the system running.

The original installer did not use a consistent color coding system for their install. It took several hours to complete this project.

o

txs,

If you only took a couple hours you did very well. Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here