Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a reliable water timer anyone?

Posted by vieja z7NM (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 08 at 21:51

I have had both Melnor & now Vigaro watering timers (they look identical ... the same company?)but none have ever lasted a full season! The Melnor filled with water & stopped so Melnor sent me two new timers marked 'Vigaro" but identical to their old Melnors. The Vigaro timers haven't lasted even two months & quit! What a waste of $$$ & I could have lost my plants when they quit! I 'Googled' both names & I see many have had the same problem as I have with these brands. Does anyone have another brand they are using that is reliable & have held up well? I'd surely appreciate knowing what to buy next!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a reliable water timer anyone?

Orbit makes a variety of timers and they have a 6 year warranty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orbit Timers

o

I'm getting responses on the plumbing forum I mistakenly logged on to first & the responses are like mine: 'these brands are pieces of junk!' I bought a Gilmore timer today at Lowe's & hope this brand may hold up better ($40). I have used Gilmore lawn sprinklers before & they have held up well & the one breakage I did have the company sent me a replacement free so no complaints about that! Embarrassed to figure up how much $$ I have spent on these worthless timers & hate to think if I hadn't noticed they weren't working what would have happened to my garden!

twolips: I shall look into the Orbit timers, thanks!

o

Try Nelson.

Here is a link that might be useful: help_site

o

We sell Arzin water timer and other accessories required for drip irrigation in India . please visit our sale posting in Ebay.in for details and contact by Email ( vikonexports@gmail.com) if you need any additional information. Thanks

http://www.ebay.in/itm/200989713826?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_1759wt_1271

o

Rain Bird came out with one year before last. Hose bib attaching. I have used a couple of them the past two years with good success and no problems.

o

Rain Bird came out with one year before last. Hose bib attaching. I have used a couple of them the past two years with good success and no problems.

o

You can try Soil Moisture Meter. Soil Moisture Meter helps you to calculate water content in the soil or irrigated land. By using moisture meter you can able to Improve fertilisering, watering and planting decisions.
I know one company KISS Monitoring they are new in the market but their results are very good. One of my friend introduced me with them. From last three months I am using their Soil Moisture Meter and getting great outputs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil Moisture Meter by KISS Monitoring

o

The OP is looking for a simple hose end timer, not a complicated moisture meter, you must work for them. I have several Gilmores and they are pretty old and beat up and still work fine. I use them every year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here