Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice

Posted by milque_toast So.Cal (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 22:27

Some time ago I've built this system of 5 55 gallon barrels to water my blueberry bushes. It works fine in manual but now I'm planning a month long vacation and need to convert it to automatic operation. I've checked out solenoid valves that I can run on timer but apparently they do not work with gravity fed systems. Any workable Ideas on conversion? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice

mt,

Is it strictly rain water collected or supplemented by municipal water? From the picture, I assume the latter. Two ideas come to mind, no three. 1) pay a neighbors son/daughter to run the system; 2) isolate the pressure system and rig a simple regular pressure pipe auto valve system with timer from a outside faucet(should be done for backup maint. of barrels); 3) install a small temporary electrical pump that is controlled from a timer. The pump can be a submersible pump that sits in one of the tanks or a separate small tank that is controlled by a float valve inlet from the other tanks. Just my $0.02 and JMHO. Very nice looking set up by the way. Aloha

o
RE: Need advice

Hi lehua13,
thank you for taking time to respond. the system is for saved rain water, our municipal water is very hard and will kill blueberries in no time( neighbor tried it).
As for hiring a teenager - this is being considered as a Plan B but I'd like to find a way to water automatically. Currently a pump is installed in-line. I use it to increase the flow, the problem is that after the pump is shut off water still keeps flowing.As can be seen on photo I even made the path from pump to watering line to be higher than the barrels(white pipe around the central barrel) but water still continues to flow after the pump is off, thus violating the law of communicating vessels, can't understand how and why :).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here