Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
obstacle_gw

Good quote??

obstacle
17 years ago

I received a quote from an independent who works for the builder's landscape contractor but who has been installing irrigation systems on weekends around the neighborhood on the side. I understand that the neighbors are happy.

The price is $2400 for 5 zones, one of which will be for the shrub beds in the front.

I estimate that they will be covering approx. 18,000 sq. ft. in area with the other 4 zones. My yard is nearly twice the size of other yards and they are getting 4 zone systems for $1300-1500.

Does this price make sense and are the zones sufficient to cover this approximate sq. footage?

Comments (3)

• steve_lt160
    17 years ago

Since no one has posted any comments yet I thought I would say a few words. Before I start I am no expert and just recently got my first system installed. It has 6 zones with 37 Hunter rotar heads covering around 22,000 sq. ft. It cost around $4800. In my area that was a bargin. The other estimate I got was around $8400 with 8 zones. A neighbor down the street payed around $10,000 they have more zones than mine...10 I think. Personally I feel they got ripped off I think. The other quote they got was around $16,000 so they feel like they got a good deal. I never told them what I payed.

You could possibly get a lower price by paying cash. There are alot of factors to consider with the quote you received.

1- What name brand equipment is being installed.
    2- How many heads will be installed.
    3- How many feet and what type of pipe is being used.
    4- Trenched or plowing.
    5- Time frame involved to complete the job.

That's just a few I can think of off the top of my head. The price maybe a little high but if the guy does good work and will provide good follow up help when needed it may be worth it. You will have questions and your system will need some minor adjustments after it is installed and you want this person to be reasonably available.

Hope this helps some.

steve

• obstacle
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Steve, that was good information.

• mrpike
    17 years ago

Sounds about right for a 5 zone system in our area, unless they are using cheap parts (TORO). We just finished a 5 zone system in a middle class neighborhood, 11 rotors 19 sprays on 750 ft of pipe. Total was just under 2500 with the plumber fee.

Price varies wildly on new systems. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Commercial quality parts, good workmaship, double clamps, and legal labor should all be compared. Other Variables include what a contractor thinks you are willing to pay, what kind of neighborhood you live in, and how busy they are at the time.

You would expect to add a couple hundred for a licenced plumber to plumb the water supply if it is to be permitted and inspected. (You should ask that)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner