Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding hose bibs

Posted by fairfield8619 8 N La. (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 12 at 2:03

I don't know if this is plumbing or irrigation issue but since it is outside I will ask it. I want to add hose bibs along the back of my hose and out into the yard so I won't have to drag 75ft of hose around. I will use poly pipe and it will not be hooked up to any irrigation valves/system. Just bibs for watering plants and for cleaning etc. Since this is essentialy just an extension of the house piping do I need to install a backflow device?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding hose bibs

ff,

Not a bad idea. Might be the regulations in some locals. Look into quick couplers instead of hose bibs. If you do the job yourself install reaction blocks at the bends, this takes the stress off the permanent line while you are using the hoses. Aloha

o

Continuing this thread- I have installed one line of 100ft poly pipe and everything works well. Good pressure and flow. This was a lateral run though. I want to run another about 75ft. to the back fence but it is uphill 3ft per the topo map. I used 1in pipe for the first run- would I gain any advantage using 1.5in for this run since I'm going uphill? Price is not that much different.

o

ff,

The bigger the pipe diameter the less pressure loss. There is not much difference over 75 ft of length for 1 1/2 pipe but every decrease in loss helps. 3 feet of difference in height at the outlet over the length of 75 ft length equates to about 1.5 psi loss. Aloha

o

Thanks lehua13, I will probably go with the 1in then, won't be using anything that will need a lot of pressure anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here