Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arsenalfan

Irrigation install price check please

arsenalfan
10 years ago

Appreciate feedback on this quote in Montgomery county MD (which requires submeter install):

0.5 acre lot
1 hunter pro C control
9 Srv100 control valves
44 rain bird 1800
25 Rainbird 5004
1 Rainbird sensor
3/4" PVB backflow preventer and submeter
All pipe/hardware/labor (est $2200 plumbing)

$8100

Comments (3)

• lehua49
    10 years ago

arsenal,

Get three competitive quotes to get a feel for local prices. Let them know that you are having others give you prices. How many linear feet of pipeline are you having installed. Why not a Rainbird controller? What is your system pressure and throw distance of the heads? You can look on-line for retail prices for the items you specified. Usually labor is 50-60% of the material cost. In that case you should be spending around $4,000 direct costs. You have to add local tax, overhead and profit. You should specify more specifically the type of irrigation head.

1. Controller $120
    2. 9 ea. SRV 100 CTRL Valves $125
    3. 44 ea 4" Rainbird 1800 heads $265
    4. 25 ea Rainbird 5004 heads $250
    5. 1 ea Rainbird Sensor $50
    6. 3/4" BFP & Submeter $200
    total: $1,010
    Labor: $1,000
    Plumbing: $2200
    Overhead 10%: $420
    Profit 15% : $700
    Grand Total: $5,330 That would reasonable.
    If you didn't get three competitive bids then you get $8,100
    This is just my humble opinion (JMHO). You will get a better comparison if you describe your items in detail. There is a range of costs for differences of item specifications. Aloha

• rainscape
    10 years ago

$8100 sounds reasonable for a northern 9 zone system. I still agree to get a couple more quotes and get some references. Remember you get what you pay for. Some people may be lower in price but are going to throw in a Home Depot system. Any legit contractor is going to have at least a 33% profit margin and up north is going to be higher. Up north the contractor needs to make all his money in an 8 month time frame where as down here in FL we crank all year long.

• lehua49
    10 years ago

rain,

Sounds reasonable in favor of the contractor. I usually work on the side of the client that pays the bills. Time to negotiate the difference. Okay I will go up to $6,500 to increase the profit margin. Your turn. I agree for the owner to have control of the negotiations three meaningful quotes is essential. Also checking the BBB, references and contractor's license would be welcome at that price. Well said Rain. JMHO Aloha