Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ricka23_gw

Priming a Pump

ricka23
9 years ago

Hi,

Our irrigation well pump pressure was way down so we added some acidizing tablets and let it sit overnight. When I turn the pump on now to drain the acid to the field behind us there is no water coming so it seems like a need to prime it.

I've never had to prime it before and don't know how. Can someone please give me some tips on how to do it? I've attached a picture of the pump.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (5)

• lehua49
    9 years ago

Rick,

Attached a hose to the faucet. turn on the hose water and open the faucet to let the water into the pump housing. When the pump housing is full, close the faucet and run the pump. If the pump is primed and working properly disconnect the hose from the faucet. You could actually leave the faucet open with the water hose running and run the pump until it is working and then shut off the faucet. Hope it works out. JMHO Aloha

• ricka23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok thanks. How do you know when the pump housing is full if it's attached?

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

The pipe in the well must have a check valve between the bottom of the well and the pump to hold the prime. Two-line systems must have the check valve at the bottom of the well. Your one-pipe system appears to have the brass check valve right up against the pump. If the pump fails to hold prime, replace that part.
    Your well is probably not more than 20 feet deep. Does it have water in it now?

• lehua49
    9 years ago

rick,

Bus is entirely correct. If your check valve is stuck open. You are pouring water down your well. If it is a minor leak, you can fill up your pump housing and start your pump that it will open the check valve and pull from the well. It you turn off your pump and hose and wait 1/2 hour and start your pump. If you have lost prime replace you check valve. If you did not wait an hour and check again, etc. till you determine how long it takes to lose the prime. Then replace the check valve. Place you hose in a 5-gal bucket and time how long it takes to fill the bucket. Compute you gallons per minute. Estimate the volume of the housing (cubic feet) x 7.8 14 gallons per cubic foot. Time your house to put that many gallons into the housing and start the pump and see what happens. Let us know how it goes. Aloha

• ricka23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was able to get it primed and the pump was working...for one day. However, there now is a crack in the PVC on the other side of the pump where the metal meets the PVC. I'm guessing it's because the pump was not secured to the base so it could move around but I'm not sure. It's not a good sprinkling year for us.

Thanks for all of your help.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor