Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Self Irrigating Pots

Posted by Sangeeta19 none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 10:13

Hello!
I have made a self irrigating planter (SIP) out of a plastic box of dimensions 14x11x8 inches, out of which I have kept 2.25 inches high area as water reservoir and 4 inch diameter PVC pipe (perforated) at the bottom filled with soil and inserted 3 pieces of thin coir ropes as a sucker for the plant. It has been a week and the soil at the top looks very moist and saturated.
My question is : Will the plant roots rot due to excess water?
Also, I want to make a bigger wooden SIP of dimensions 36x18x18 inches. Will the same method be feasible?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Self Irrigating Pots

If the soil is overly saturated you will get root rot. The plants can't store it all and it will make it hard for them to breath. It's best to keep the soil damp.

o
RE: Self Irrigating Pots

sg,

I would say yes. Unless you use swamp plants. I have experimented with Earthtainers which are twice the size you have stated. 5 inch soil column was used in those and the soil was too moist too long. The tomato plants did well at first but after awhile suffered from too much soil moisture when the soil consolidated over time and lost its air entrainment ability. My next experiment, I used nylon rope to move water into the soil volume with three ropes of 5/8" diameter and even this seems too much. I believe a smaller rope system will work but at the start I will water conventionally until the roots get going and the plant growth starts to take off. Then let the system water from below. I also use an automatic water float valve in the reservoir and this has worked well. Gardening is experimental process. Let us know how it goes. JMHO Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here