Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best way to water planting beds & trees but ignore the lawn

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 10:35

OK - say you have several acres, maybe 7. Too much to water a 7-acre lawn, unless you either have a well with ridiculous yield (like 100GPM & abundant groundwater) or wish to spend $1000 per month.

However, as it is much harder to replace a tree or established shrub/perennial bed than to replant grass, I'd be more concerned about the ability to irrigate the permanent non-lawn plants.

In this area, most summers have at least dry spells that, while most plants survive them, it's not "optimal". Some years, like this one up until recently, are actually pretty wet & need no irrigation at all. Still other years, like 2007, it seems like it never rains.

However, with a larger property, to me the idea of an inground system has an appeal even if it won't be used for the lawn, since dragging a hose 800 feet to the back of a large lot seems difficult.

I'd like a system that allows me to irrigate relatively easily if/when I need to.

Has anyone done this specifically for everything BUT the lawn?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best way to water planting beds & trees but ignore the lawn

Yes, it is very common to have trees and shrubs on underground irrigation. I run mine on drip emitters.

o
RE: best way to water planting beds & trees but ignore the lawn

The best solution would be low volume drip tubing and shrub bubblers although it may not be the most economical. You would not need a massive pump to supply the water needed but to run pipe underground with wiring to the valves could become very pricey on 7 acres. If all the areas you want watered are relatively close and not sprawled out this would be the route I would take.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here