Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abritabroad

Intermittant Problem

heymate
11 years ago

Hi everyone I have a Hunter Controller (residential) Recently the system comes on for a second and then shuts off. I can open all the valves manually and they work fine, but the controller only allows the system on for a split second. sometimes it will work flawlessly for a week. I might mention I cannot turn on any single station from the controller when it it acting up.t starts for a second and then shuts off. Any ideas would be welcome.

Comments (7)

• lehua49
    11 years ago

hm,

Is this a problem that has started recently? Any power outages or lightning strikes nearby? Is your controller new and installed by a Contractor? You may want to check your continuity of your wires or the surety of the wire connections in the controller. Also check the common wire twist connectors. Replace those with waterproof ones. Sounds like a intermittent short somewhere. JMHO Aloha

• heymate
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the answer mate. I checked all the wire connections and replaced one valve..it worked once! The Hunter Controller comes on for a second (showing the station and run time and then immedialtly goes back to the time of day. (Shuts power of to the system) All the wires look good. I guess I will have to learn to use a meter! Anyway I wanted to thank you for posting and if you think of anything else, let me know. The system has run for 12 years without any issues BTW :(

• lehua49
    11 years ago

hm,

If everything works okay under the manual operation of twisting the solenoid on and off and under the manual operation from the controller. Check inside the controller for any insects making their home and causing intermittent problems. Call or email Hunter. If the controller is 12 years old, it might be worth replacing the controller. JMHO. Aloha

• heymate
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Lehua..Well I decided to replace the cable and it worked !! ONCE :( The controller is the only thing left so I will probable replace that.... When it starts playing up I cannot start any single station (from the controller) Of course everything works manually so it must be the controller. I was thinking it could be some kind of water back pressure problem but I doubt that. I will let you know.

• heymate
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just hooked the common and zone 1 wire up to the power supply for the controller and the zone worked fine so I think it has to be the controller. This proved that the wiring is fine.

• heymate
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Lehua, Well I connected the common and the wire to one zone to the AC adapter for the controller and it worked. so I bought a new controller ($35) and all is well :) Just wanted to let you know. Thank you so much for all your help !!!!

• lehua49
    11 years ago

hm,

I am glad it worked out and continues to do so. Aloha

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner