Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherwood_botsford

Dripper comparisons.

I grow trees in pots. Initially I've grown them spaced pot to pot, and watered with a sprinkler. Now they are getting big and need room, so I'm moving to a pot in pot scheme.

Sprinklers of course will be inefficient for this.

In my test setup, I ran a half inch line over the top of the pots, and punched needle holes in the line. This works, but the holes close up, necessitating repunching about twice a season.

Having the line right over the pots has other disadvantages.

1. I have to stoop to check if the line is dripping. Usually I have to feel the mulch.

2. Weed control between the pots is awkward because of the waterline 2" above the ground.

I would like to put posts every X feet along each row, run steel wire along the top of the posts, and hang a 1/2" line from the wire. For each tree insert a double barb fitting, a length of 1/4" tube, and an emitter on the end, so that the emitter is about a foot above the pot. This will allow a walk-by visual check to see of the emitter is working.

1. Is this a good way to do this?

2. My land is fairly flat, and my rows are short (200 feet, 100 trees) Should I use PC or non-PC emitters.

3. I'd like to use .5 gph emitters, (fewer zones) but have heard that they clog more easily. Is this true?

4. Lots of companies extoll the virtues of their emitters as being clog resistant. But they can't all be best. If you have experience with more than one brand or line of emitters, which ones do you recommend.

Comment (1)