Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berryberry_gw

Help - how to decide between quotes

berryberry
15 years ago

Hi - I received 2 quotes for having an irrigation system installed. One from the largest irrigation company in the area (Company 1), the second from a smaller, but also well respected company based only a few miles away from me (company 2).

Both spec'd

I personally liked the owner from Company 1. He walked the property and whipped out an estimate in about 15 minutes when he was there. He seems to be using a mix of Rainbard heads and a Toro Greenskeepr controller. His proposal had mainly gear heads with 5 smaller pop-up heads for one small area

Company 2 spent much more time measuring the property, layed out a design and sent me a very detailed proposal and map of zones. They propose rainbird heads and a rainbird ESP controller (more expensive than the Toro). They also proposed an automatic rain sensor. They had one or two less larger gear heads and a couple zones where they used more smaller pop-up heads (about 6 more overall).

Company 1 was about $300 cheaper than company 2.

Having never had an system installed before, I need help deciding which one to go with? Suggestions?

Are more bigger gear heads better than having more smaller heads? Is there a big difference in the controller? Do I need a rain sensor?

Thanks

Comments (3)

• jasper60103
    15 years ago

Best advice I can give is talk to your neighbors. See what contractors they used and start from there. I'm very happy with my sprinkler system, but I have to admit he sounds more like your 15 minute estimate guy.
    So, you can't always tell by how time they appear to put into it.
    My neighbor was complaining recently about coverage, or lack there of. He has some brown spots because not enough heads. He used a different contractor. So, some contractors will skimp.

The rain sensor is something they'll usually toss in with the system. I can't comment on the big gear heads vs. smaller heads.

Also, I have rainbird 5000 rotary heads, sprayers and the ESP controller, no complaints there.

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

Having a "pretty plan" means nothing if they cannot properly execute it. Anybody w/ AutoCAD or similar software can draw a great design that looks good on paper.

Ask for references and then call them and ask if you can come over and see their system.

Happy customers will be more than willing to tell you all about their systems, and unhappy customers will me even MORE willing to tell you how unhappy they are. (Granted they are probably not going to give you the names and numbers of the un-happy customers if they know about them.)

check w/ the BBB and State and/or County Attorney Generals' Office of Consumer Affairs, and the local permit office (if you have one)
    The permit office especially knows who the a-holes are and who the good contractors are.

• lehua49
    15 years ago

Hi BB,

1. Did either of them check your water pressure and flow rate in order to design your system? What were the readings?
    2. What is the gpm ratings for each type of head for the recorded water pressure?
    3. Get a guarantee that you will get proper coverage for plant and lawn areas. Final payment depends upon showing how you operate the system and the system is in full working condition.
    4. Does the system attach before or after the house pressure regulator?
    5. Does the system include a vacuum breaker or back flow preventer and filter?
    6. Does he provide a warranty for faulty items or do you have to take care of this directly with the manufacturer?
    7. Do they need you to pay for items up front or as installed and proven to work properly.
    8. Make sure they have insurance naming you as additionally insured before they start work on you property. It doesn't take much for them to get you this paperwork.
    9. The contractor probably can get you any manufacturer for the items in your system. He can give the difference in costs for manufacturer. Check on-line for your preference of the manufacturers.

If you do not know the answer to these questions talk to each of the contractors and see what they say. These answers will be a way to differentiate them in more detail and which will be more reliable. Sounds like a large project so they are willing to give something to get the work in these slower economic times.

I like the closer-to-you contractor. He sounds like he did more studying of your project to be more accurate with what you need. You can visit his company if things do not go as planned. He will be more likely to please you. Good luck. Aloha