Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Retrofit to web-enable controller Access?

Posted by lazygardens PhxAZ%3A Sunset 13 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 13:09

I would like to be able to control my vacation house's drip system from my main home, and vice versa. Over the Internet.

Are there any devices that can retrofit the existing controller board to give web access?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Retrofit to web-enable controller Access?

What type of controllers do you currently have?

o

I'd have to look ... Toro or RainBird probably.

The kind you buy at the pro supply, not the big box store.

o

You are gonna need a smart controller with Internet capabilities. The Weather Matic smart link will probably be one of your cheaper alternatives. Here is a link http://www.smartlinknetwork.com/

o

In addition you should have a flow meter installed on each of you systems with a master valve. If you are gonna be away from your home for a period of time you will be able to shut your entire system down (including the main line) via computer.

o

There's a drawback to those "weather aware" controllers. It can rain an inch at the closest reporting station and nothing at all 1/2 mile away.

The problem with SmartLink is that they appear to charge for access to your sprinkler controller. And they aren't telling how much the service costs or what the controllers cost. I'll have to go see my supplier when I get home.

I'd hate to have to roll my own, but if I have to, I will.

o

There are many web-enable controllers out there. Weathermatic is a "smart" controller, high system cost plus monthly subscription.

I have a BlueSpray (www.bluespray.net). It's the best bang for the buck, IMO. It has wifi, unlimited programs. unlimited start times, probably best suited for your drip irrigation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here