Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pdog_gw

Is this a decent price for an irrigation install?

pdog
16 years ago

Due to the upper 80s, low 90 degree temps we have been having here in NJ for the past month or so, my lawn that used to be very lush and green has really gone dormant. Each year right around September I think about having an irrigation system installed so I do not have to drag around hoses and sprinklers when I overseed in mid Sept.

I called 2 places last week and both got me quotes today. The first guy did not return any of my calls to give me a quote, but responded promptly when I went to their website and did an electronic request.

Without even meeting him (he just stopped by when I was not home) using all Toro heads (6 zones, 24 heads), 1 controller, 1 backflow preventer, 1 rain gauge and all piping, valving, etc was $3000.

The other gentleman stopped by this afternoon and we walked the area to be done. He looked at the water meter to check the line size and explained how the system would be installed. Using all Hunter parts (7 zones, 28 PGP heads), 1 Hunter Pro C 9 timer, rain gauge, backflow preventer, and the remaining items would be just under $2900.

Seems both guys are in the same ballpark. The second one had 1 extra zone and 4 more heads which was nice.

What is really weird is that when I sent my layout to Toro and Rainbird last year they both came back with 6-7 zones, but only 12-14 heads. These guys have double the heads. I would think that would provide a more uniform coverage, but I could be wrong.

What do you guys think?

Comments (8)

• steve_l
    16 years ago

You didn't say how many square feet you were covering, but that price range is consistent for what others here in my MA neighborhood pay for a similar complement of equipment. I agree the 12-14 heads isn't right. 4 rough lawn rotor heads per zone is typical, though I've seen installers squeeze 6 or 7 and then put small gallons per minute nozzles in the heads to make it all work (which isn't a good thing to do). Both are good brands. I'm partial to Hunter as I really like their PGP rotor heads and have a Pro-C timer. All my stuff is self installed. Consider adding a remote control for the timer - for an extra $100 or so it's a nice convenience (plus it's cool).

• pdog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Steve. The yard is probably just under 10,000 sf or so.

Remote control, that sounds like a nice feature. I will have to look into that. Can that be added afterwards?

• steve_l
    16 years ago

I've got about 10,000 square feet also and pretty much that same amount of equipment. You definitely can buy the remote later with the Hunter Pro-C, not sure about the Toro. Their web site might show whether it's a separate item.

• pdog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks!

• jasper60103
    16 years ago

Sounds like you already received some good feedback.
    Anyway, I recently had a rainbird sprinkler system installed and very pleased so far.

My neighbor had a system installed a few years back and one thing I noticed is they usually have some brown spots. I suspect his contractor skimped on heads to cut cost and he doesn't get good coverage.

Definitely stear clear of low bidders with fewer head counts. Also, make sure they run the water line back to your water meter. Enjoy!
    -jasper

• pdog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Jasper. Yeah, the line will be tapped in directly after my water meter.

• bogey123
    16 years ago

I had to add some zones to my system earlier this year and my installer charged $700/ zone. At first I thought that this was a little high but they had to dig all the trenches by hand instead of using the ditch witch so as to make sure they didn't break up the lines already in the ground.

• eltigre
    16 years ago

Hunter PGPs are the way to go. Put in system myself years back with Toro's and have been changing them out about 3-4 a season since. Price sounds on par. Good luck. Gotta get me one of those remotes... adjusting heads should be be easier.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor