Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thorninmyside

Sprinkler Watering Fence Question

thorninmyside
14 years ago

Hello,

I am reposting my message into this forum because I I think I posted in the wrong section previously - this is where the experts can help me I hope.

Approximately 6-8 weeks ago my neighbor and I had a cedar boundary fence built. This past weekend I was staining the top rail of the fence, I noticed that along the entire bottom of my fence (and running up to appx. 30") dark brown stains have now appeared (looks like water stains). I will gladly post pictures if that is allowable - but not sure how. My side of the fence faces east and receives the morning/afternoon sun and my neighbor receives afternoon/evening. After closer inspection, I noticed the dirt under the fence and into my backyard is wet; the neighbor's sprinklers are continually watering his side of the fence which is seeping through to my side. The stains are extremely dark. Nothing from my side has touched the fence - I do not have sprinklers. My neighbor thinks his watering of the fence has nothing to do with the stains that are suddenly appearing on my side - I think he is incorrect. Can someone tell me who is correct?

QUESTIONS:

*What is causing this staining on my side of the fence?

*Will a light stain cover this or accentuate the stain? (I have already begun staining the top rails with a beautiful stain that enhances the woods natural beauty.)

Thank you for responding.

Comment (1)