Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hhf100

solenoid replacement for a richdel 3/4' valve sprinkler system

hhf100
20 years ago

THE REPLACEMENTS i HAVE PURCHASED EVEN FROM A RICHDEL VALVE DO NOT WORK PROPERLY. THE VALVE WHEN TIGHTENED DOES NOT ALLOW THE SPRINKLER TO ENERGISE. I CAN LOOSEN THE SOLENOID TO THE POINT WHERE THE SPRINKLERS COME ON, BUT THE WATER LEAKS FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE SOLENOID & THE SPRIKLER JUST STAYS ON UNTIL I TIGHTEN THE SOLENOID UNTIL I CAN HEAR THE WATER STOP. THE SOENOID I PURCHASED FROM THE RICHDEL VALVE TURNED OUT TO BE MADE IN MEXICO & THE SAME AS SOLD BY H.D. AT HALF THE PRICE. THE ORIGINAL SOLENOID WAS MADE IN THE USA BUT DOES NOT SHOW A MANUFACTURES NAME. PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN.

THANKS

Comments (14)

• asprinklerguy
    20 years ago

Richdel only had one solenoid size. Find a dealer that has a matching "Richdel compatible" and you'll have your replacement

Here is a link that might be useful: Ewing

• asprinklerguy
    20 years ago

Contact R Co. Parts http://www.rcoparts.com or Ewing http://www.ewing1.com Both stock Richdel replacement solenoids.

• California_Bob
    20 years ago

I have three of the 3/4" Richdel model 711 valves. If the solenoid is getting the proper voltage (should be buzzing when on) then I suspect the problem is the diaphragm. I had to replace them after 10 years. The rubber ages and may look OK but won't work. HD has replacement diaphragms made by Lawn Genie which fit Richdel, RainJet and Lawn Genie valves.

• Feet15
    20 years ago

I am having a similar problem. I have a sprinkler system that was installed circa 1974 with Richdel 204 valves. It was working fine until the solenoid "died" essentially shorted. The replacement solenoid from Home Depot has a "retainer" to keep the plunger from falling out. It will activate and turn the valve on, but will not turn off. Any ideas??? Did you ever get a resolution to your problem??

• The_Mohave__Kid
    20 years ago

Take the O ring out of the old valve ... you do not need it ... the newer solenoids have a o ring built in .... try it.

• BandKinAZ
    20 years ago

I'm really thankful that California Bob posted the info about the diaphragm problem. In my back yard, I have 4 Richdel 205's, two of them slowly quit working after about 10 years. The rep at the HD store told me that the problem is definately a solenoid problem and definately not a diaphragm problem since the valves work fine manually. I purchached two of the less expensive solenoids and had no sucess. Then another rep told me that the more expensive solenoids were more powerful and would work. No sucess. I removed the solenoids from the valves and laid them on the grass so that I could watch them work when they were energized by the timer. They worked fine. I decided to look for replacement 205's on the web and found California Bob's advice about replacing the diaphragms. I puchased the diaphragms for model 204, which work fine on 205 and my sprinlers work great again. Thanks California Bob.

• highwayman
    19 years ago

to the Mohave Kid :)

THANK YOU -- THANK YOU -- THANK YOU

You SAVED me a LOT of aggravation with your comment about the O rings -- worked for me! :)

• The_Mohave__Kid
    19 years ago

Glad I could help ....

Good Day ....

• kbuckley
    19 years ago

Where can I purchase a diaphragm for a r204 richdel valve asm? Also, where I get a solinoid as well? Thanks.

• The_Mohave__Kid
    19 years ago

Best bet is to buy the entire valve ... replace evrything except the base ...

Good Day ...

• aguaman
    17 years ago

I was really glad to see the post about the diaphragm too!
    I've got two Hardie in-line 3/4" valves side-by-side for my front lawn. I can switch the solenoids from one valve to the other and still only the right valve works (with either solenoid). So then I'm thinking it can't be the valve, because like the original poster -- I can release the pressure on the solenoid on the left valve and it comes on fine (and does shut down automatically). However, I can't close the solenoid all the way down on the left valve or the valve will simply close down. So I have to leave it partially open until the watering's down and then shut it down to avoid leaking/flooding the sprinkler box.

So d'ya think I should get a replacement Hardie diaphragm (maybe two while I'm at it;>) No model number on the valve (bummer) but it's circa 1990.

Thanks!
    AguaMan

• dcircle
    16 years ago

I have richdel valves in my back yard. 3 of them suddenly stopped working automatically. They start if I manually start them.
    How do I check if the solenoid or the diaphgram has a problem. Or Is there any other problem.

Thanks !

• lat4242
    14 years ago

We replaced our Richdel R204 diaphragm with a Lawn Genie 54004 diaphragm and replaced the Richdel "lid" with the "lid" from the Lawn Genie. We'd originally bought a standard HD solenoid, then following another thread pulled the O-ring from the Richdel but it didn't work. THEN pulled the white retaining cover from teh solenoid, and THAT didn't work. The diaphragm in the Lawn Genie was different from the Richdel, but as long as the LG top wen ton top to seal it, it worked fine. Leaked at first, but we tightened the screws down and it was fine. A HUGE savings. Thanks for the thread.

• nikolastm
    12 years ago

Hey guys,

The question that I have is which solenoid valve to buy?
    The are HUGE price differences and I can't make up my mind.
    I see classic stuff like ASCO http://www.ascovalve.com/applications/p ... yData.aspx but these guys
    totally RIP OFF chunks of meat.
    Where's there are cheap things on eBay ( with no brand at all).
    There are some more "reasonable" priced valves like http://www.joyfay.com/us/business-indus ... valve.html
    So then I totally have no idea what to buy.
    The thing is they all look like they are made of Brass and seriously how different can two pieces of brass bee ?
    I have to admit that ASCO is a rip off.
    Anybody ever had any U.S. Solid valves ?
    Any other brands ?
    thanks guys

RObert