Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julianna_il

Why is my soaker hose springing leaks???

julianna_il
16 years ago

I just installed a soaker hose system this year and really was loving it, until it started springing leaks like crazy.

It's Orbit brand from Wal Mart, and I read the instruction manual thoroughly before installing. I bought the pressure regulator because it said that could affect the life of the hose.

I've run it approximately 5 or 6 times, and it had sprung one leak, so I cut out the split part and used a plastic connector thing. But I was just watering and I'd get one split fixed with a connector, and a new one would burst out a few minutes later. I just used up all the spare connectors I'd bought. geesh! Four leaks in the last 15 minutes. That's just not right.

It looks like someone took a razor blade and cut a quarter inch slice in the hose. (But since I was outside right there, this couldn't have been vandalism)

I don't have critters that could be doing this, and a new one springs out as soon as I plug up the last one.

The weather here isn't any hotter than anywhere else; in fact we've had a cooler summer than normal.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? I'm going to write an email to Orbit, but wanted to first make sure I haven't done something to cause this. Otherwise, they need to send me a bag of connectors (they're a dollar fifty each, so this is going to add up quickly) and a new roll of bulk hose for next year. It would be impossible to replace the entire system at this point...stuff has grown too thick.

I'm really MAD. I know this brand wasn't top of the line, but it should have lasted more than five uses.

Comments (2)