Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helogirl_gw

Irrigation Pump Turning On and Off

helogirl
15 years ago

We have a 5 zone sprinkler system. Zones 1-3 work perfectly fine. When zones 4 and 5 come on the pump will turn on and off. We've tried cleaning the sprinkler heads of these zones but no luck with the pump. I read on a website to open the bleed valve on the solenoid valve. I opened the bleed valve slightly on zone 5 and the pump stayed on but when I tried turning the system off with the valve still open the pump would turn on and off again. So I had to shut the bleed valve. Does this mean the solenoid valve is bad? Or does the valve need a new diaphragm?

Comments (6)

• waterboy69
    15 years ago

As a test, try running zone 4 & 5 at the same time. This can be done by hooking both of the zone wires in the controller to the same zone terminal. If this fixes the problem your zones are too small for the pump and the pump is being tripped by a thermal breaker or pressure switch. The solution is to leave the two zones acting as one or make the zones larger by adding heads or using larger nozzles. Try this and let us know the results.

• Waterit
    15 years ago

You have 2 other options:
    1. Adjust the presure switch on the pump to account for the 2 low-flow zones
    2, Go to a straight pump-start system by eliminating the pressure switch and adding a pump-start relay.

I really recommend this work be done by a pro and not the average homeowner

• biglumber
    15 years ago

Waterboy,
    Good advice.

It took me a while to balance the zones but now each runs at about 50 lbs 12 gallons a minute. I did this as advice from the well driller.

Peace

• Michael j
    last year

i have a 4 zone sprinkler system with the toro 260 zone valves , it uses a well pump ,no start relay , when i have the pump start to water al zones , the pump cycles on and off for 1 zone only , the other three zones are perfect , it is a new pump, is it a bad diaphragm , its driving me crazy , if i take the sprinkler head out as if to clean the sand out , the pump works just fine, i think the pressure is backing up to the pressure switch therefore shutting the pump off and short cycling ,what are your thoughts

thank you

• Michael j
    5 months ago

thank you for the update sir , the system consists of a Meyers hj100s well pump, the whole system is a toro system past the pump , i noticed that if not enough water is beig requested due to the adjustment of the water outlet on the nozzel , the pressure backs up and shuts the pump off since its a pressure pump, im furthur thinking that the diagpham is weak and letting the pump shut off until the pressure drops down and put the pump back on, i dont want the short cycling to ruin the pump, they are NOT CHEAP