Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
r_speed

Locating underground zone valve

r_speed
16 years ago

I have a 5-zone lawn sprinkler system and zone 1 doesnÂt work correctly but the rest of the system is working perfectly.

When zone 1 is activated the pop up head will go up and down for the complete time that is set but never stay up, I checked for a possible short through the controller and it shows no errors.

I closed off all the pop up heads and ran zone 1 and the heads did the same thing but at the same time I was looking to see if I had a leak maybe in the pipe of on one of the heads.

I have determined that I have a bad zone control valve but I cannot locate it and I have tried probing the front yard at 4 inch spacing along with probing around the house, driveway and the curb.

I called the company that installed the system and they do not want to help me in anyway. I spoke to other companies in town and as soon as they find out who installed it, they tell me that the underground box that the valve is in could be anywhere.

I am looking at $150.00 to $200.00 an hour for someone to locate this for me, so my question how can I find it myself. I have also tried using a 5-prong pitchfork after it has rained and still I am unsuccessful.

I have called the local tool rental company but they do not carry the type of tool that I need for locating this valve.

I asked the original company for the diagram for this install that I told them to make for me in the beginning but they will not help, I understand that I should have taken pictures in the beginning but that is my fault.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional