Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
General Question: How long do you water w/ your drip irrigation?

Posted by jpe118 z6 SE PA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 08 at 20:53

I am a first year 'dripper'. I have drip line set up (at .5gph) on my tomatoes/peppers/cucumbers/beans. I also have .5gph button drippers on some ferns. I'm adding more soon, but IN GENERAL... how long do you leave your system on for a small veggie garden. I know there are lots of variables... just looking for an average to go off of. I've been leaving it on for 1-2 hours lately, but in the middle of the summer, i feel like that may not be enough. I live in zone 6 SE Pennsylvania.

thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: General Question: How long do you water w/ your drip irrigat

Hi jpe,

At least you know how much water you are putting on each plant and how long it takes. That is a big step forward. You probably should post to the tomatoe or vegetable forum to get more precise water amounts. I know about tomatoes, a rule of thumb is 1.5 gal every three days. But this depends on soil drainage, size of root system, heat, mulch etc. Trial and error is your best bet. Keep soil moist but not wet. Water infrequently but deeply. The sticking your finger in the soil and watching the plants will let you know when it is time to water. It won't take long to get a routine set up. Thick mulch stabilizes soil temp., saves water, control weeds and conditions the soil. Good luck. Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here