Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jhschlak

Any Hunter Pro-C controller experts out there?

Jeff
18 years ago

I have the hunter pro-c controller, it has been working perfectly until I tried to set up a second program. I have my normal routine on program A, and I set up on program B for one zone to run 10 minutes twice a day. But for some reason program B will not operate. I have double checked and triple checked everything eg. am/pm, it is set to program b, rain sensor is not activated etc. When I go back to program A, the system works fine.

My questions are: Can I set it up for it all to run on program A (that is, run all 6 zones in the morning, then only run 1 zone at 1pm and 7 pm)? What am I not doing correctly in setting up program B?

Thanks to anybody who can help.

-Jeff

Comments (49)

• steve_l
    18 years ago

I'm not an expert by any means, but make sure the program B start time(s) aren't overlapping the run time of program A. Also, check to see that you have program B set to run the specific days you want (odd, even, all, etc) - in addition to the B start times and individual zone watering duration times - it won't default to the days that program A is running. The answer to your "all to run on program A" question is No. If you double check everything and convince yourself it's right, you might want to try resetting the controller.
    Steve

• Jeff
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My A program runs at 5am, and the B program runs at 1pm and 7pm. I have it set to run everyday. When I am running just one zone, I have the other zone times set to 0. I believe this should be the correct setting. How would I go about resetting the controller if I need to do this?
    -Jeff

• steve_l
    18 years ago

I'm at work, but see below off the Hunter web site - you'd have to reprogram EVERYTHING if you go this route. Go here if you want to see the manual: The reset procedure is part of the Hidden Features.

http://www.hunterindustries.com/Products/Controllers/procintro.html

Have you tried manually running Program B just to be sure the zone and watering time is correctly set?

4) Clearing ControllerÂs Memory/Resetting Controller

If you feel that you have misprogrammed the controller, there is a process that will reset the memory to factory defaults and erase all programs and data that have been entered into the controller. Press the right arrow, - , PRG and the buttons simultaneously and hold them down, while they are being held down, press and release the RESET button on the back of the front panel. Then release the , , and the buttons. The display should now show 12:00 am. All the memory has been cleared and the controller may now be reprogrammed.

• dave_2222
    18 years ago

I have another question about Pro-C controllers.

I have a 9 unit module addition in my controller with a remote controll unit. I set everything up and tested it with the remote. I mistakenly put the 9 unit into the top part of the controller so that i have 15 stations showing with nothing on 4,5 & 6. But everything worked with the remote. I programmed the unit to run the next morning, but only 3 stations worked.

I checked out the unit and now only 3 units are showing up on the unit. I reset the unit severally ways.---reset button on back---3 keys plus reset button---disconnected 9 unit module, having removed all power including batteries. I then powered up and then turned off and reconnected 9 module---still only 3 stations. I put the 9 unit module in lower slot adjacent to 3 unit---no change---i moved back up to top---still nothing

any ideas would be appreciated.

• lawnboy123
    17 years ago

"I checked out the unit and now only 3 units are showing up on the unit."

I'm not really sure what this means...but if you imagine Dan Akroid saying it deadpan, it sounds really funny!

But, seriously, use the "Quick Check" function as a start. Press (+(), (-), (left arrrow), (right arrow)SIMULTANEOUSLY.

Press (+) to begin the test.

If it finds a short, it will say ERR for the zone.

• drose
    17 years ago

I have been looking at this controller for purchase and looking at the information on their website. I'm not sure I am right but from what I can tell, the controller comes with 3 stations. You have to have one of the 3 module units in the first slot then you add the one 9 module unit in the last slot. I don't think the system knows how to 'see' the 9 module unit in anything but the last slot and you have to fill the first slot before the last slot is 'seen'. I included the link below. The top of the document seems to indicate that is the way it is designed. You might call Hunter to ask.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hunter Pro-C specification sheet

• ricky_2010
    13 years ago

I have a Hunter Pro-C controller watering system. The display screen is stuck at "OFF". I can manually water All Stations but when I turn the dial back to RUN it just displays "OFF" instead of the Time )Time & Date are def programmed correctly).
    Please help if you can.
    Thanks.
    RS

• ggoslin_aec-consult_com
    12 years ago

I have an issue with the Hunter Pro-C. We had a lightning storm and shorted out the controller. Since then I replaced the controller with a new face, but when I plug it in zone 1 will start even when it is set into the off psoition. What could the issue be and anyone know how to resolve it?

• tholius
    12 years ago

Well my 2 year old Hunter Pro C failed with two stations on. Even after clearing the memory and resetting the controller, stations 1 and 2 are stuck on, even with the controller in the OFF position. This is unacceptable behavior for a controller. Failing OFF is fine, failing ON means immediately return unit to store and buy a different brand. This drained my 10,000 storage and damaged my pressure pump. Not good. Not recommended.

Here is a link that might be useful: Homes in Scottsdale AZ

• TownPride
    11 years ago

Pro-C controllers seldom fail. If 2 zones are on and the clock is off or unplugged, it's your valves, not the controller.

Pro-C controllers read "off" when an automatic rain shutoff has suspended watering.

• monicakm_gw
    11 years ago

I found this thread when looking for a solution to our Pro-C controller box apparently not working. The wording on the screen was gibberish (to me). I was sweating bullets thinking we were in for a major repair bill...didn't know where the problem was. My husband said, "before we call anyone, let's see if it has a reset button". It does, we reset it IT'S FIXED! WHEW! Just thought I'd post this here AND bump up this thread in case someone else is looking for a fix for their Pro-C controller box.

• oldgrampa
    10 years ago

Anyone have a picture of the inside of the front panel, taken apart?
    This would be for a Pro-C PC-300i
    Tx

This post was edited by OldGrampa on Thu, May 2, 13 at 19:31

• lehua49
    10 years ago

Tx,

Check out this link to a operators manual:

http://www.hunterindustries.com/sites/default/files/PIG_ProC_dom.pdf

Aloha

• coldrink
    10 years ago

I have a Hunter Pro C controller. It is about 9 months old and operated perfectly last summer. This spring it has developed a problem. I only program Station A and there are 12 stations. When I program it to water....It cycles through all 12 stations correctly. When it completes the last station, it shuts down. Then in one minute, it starts up again and runs through the complete 12 station cycle again.My thought was that I had accidently programmed the controller to do this so I reset it and re-programmed it, but it still continues to start through another cycle right after the first cycle has ended. Does anyone have an idea what may be causing this? I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.

• lehua49
    10 years ago

cd,

Was this controller installed by a contractor? aloha

• coldrink
    10 years ago

I did a more thorough search and found the answer as to why my Hunter PRO-C Controller was starting a new watering cycle immediately after the initial watering cycle ended. This is a great site.

.http://www.hunterindustries.com/support/why-does-my-irrigation-system-finish-watering-and-then-start-again

• leedep
    9 years ago

Hi -

I have a Hunter Pro-C controller (it's at least 6 or 7 years old) that is mysteriously running my irrigation on days and times that it is not programmed to run. I've triple checked that I only have one start time for each program, and because I'm in CA and we're limited to watering on just Mondays and Thursdays, I've triple checked that each of the 3 programs is schedule to run on only those 2 days. Yet, I hear sprinklers turning on in the wee hours of the morning on other days, and sometimes I come home to a wet garden in the late afternoon. It makes no sense. Any ideas? I've thought of doing a factory rest to see if it's just hanging in to some old programming or some such, but my schedules and programs are complex, so I'd love to avoid that if possible. It's like it's possessed! No rain sensor is installed on this system - not that it would help - we haven't had real rain in months.

• irrigirl
    9 years ago

Double check your current date and time. Double check that Monday and Thursday are the only days without circles.

How many stations do you have?
    Start Time 1 should have a time and Start Times 2 thorugh whatever should say OFF in each program.
    Which stations are on which program?

• richthornton
    9 years ago

I have a problem with my older system, I set zone 1 program A to come on once in the middle of the day, and zone 2 program A to come on at 6am and program B at 6pm. Every time I go back to it, zone 1 and zone 2 times have been moved across to each other. Have done a system reset and even changed to the 24 hour clock, it still moves the zones and the am and pm watering times come back

• richthornton
    8 years ago

Hi irrigirl2

My controller is a pro-c 300. I have no instructions for it, so having to work it out as I go along. It has 3 watering zones, 2 with sprinklers and one with drips. Every time I set it up to run the drips, the sprinklers come on after the drips stop. I have no grass now, so don't want the sprinklers to run. So are the actual zones, A,B and C and the 1,2,3 and 4 just the start times?

• irrigirl2
    8 years ago

http://www.hunterindustries.com/sites/default/files/PIG_ProC_dom.pdf

That should be your manual^^ maybe it will help

Set Station Run Times: showing zone numbers--where you set the amount of time for each zone. If you don't want sprinklers to run, you set those zones to OFF. These are your zones--not A, B, and C. A, B, and C are programs, allowing to separate your zones into three different schedules if needed.

Set Watering Start Times: this dial setting is not showing zone numbers. it is showing you Cycle numbers. A cycle is where the controller runs through all of the zones consecutively, based on the "Station Run Times" you have set for each. You do not need start times for each.

If you just need your drip running twice a day, for the same amount of time each day, you should set this in A, and erase the other programs.

• j9olson
    8 years ago

I have stations not zones. As above set watering start times is not setting station start times. This was my mistake and stations were probably going off multiple times of the wee early hours. It finaly made sense when I looked at a watering schedule form example which came from somewhere. SO, if you want to water different stations on different days/schedules and not more than once a day then... here is my example. I have station 1 and 2 which is the lawn and station 3 is the drip. Program start time 1 at 2:00 am- all other start times off. Program A set to water t,th. station 1 and 2 run times are off or 0 run time. (no lawn watering). Station 3 is set for 10" (drip waters).
    Program B watering start time 1 at 0400-(all other program start times off) set to water Th. Station 1 and 2 set for 30" station run time (sprinlers run) and stn 3 is off or 0 time (drip does not run). Wish I could insert table here- would be clearer. Anyway, hope this helps someone if it is clearer than mud.

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

It's been so long since we've ran out sprinklers, I'm not sure I remember how! :o It's the the 3rd rainiest spring on record (NE Texas) and the rainiest May EVER. No amt of watering could ever produce the emerald green God's rainwater has and my waterbill is $27 instead of about 100 this time of year :)

• braunie1
    8 years ago

i'm getting a flashing sprinkler head signal when the program should start running on my Hunter Pro C, but its not. any help????

• tgkpsu
    7 years ago

Jumping in on this thread. Anyone know the 'One Touch Manual Start'? When I engage it it is only turning on Zone 1 (8 zones in total)

• moe8it
    7 years ago

Have you made sure that you have run time on the other 7 zones/stations? The controller will not run those zones/stations unless you have programmed run times.

• Sandy Zobel
    4 years ago

I have a Pro-C and the first three stations come on and work just fine but four thru nine click but won’t come on. What’s my problem?

• Mike Richards
    4 years ago

I have noticed that my clock has started to blink, I am not sure if the irrigation system has been working, but I think it has. What would be the reason for the blinking clock?

• PRO
    Houston-Sprinkler
    4 years ago

Sandy, you may be experiencing wiring issues going to those valves not working or it's possible that you controller is not pushing out any volts to those valves to activate. So a test by a professional will be the first step to figuring out what the problem is and repairing.

You can Visit us online at www.houston-sprinkler.com to schedule a free estimate.

• David Fulton
    4 years ago

I have an issue with the Manual Start.. I set the system for a Manual for A program around 4pm on day... now the system does a Manual Start of that program every day at 4pm, as indicated by the sprinkler icon on the display.... this is along with the routine programmed time of 6am.... I have done a reset of the system once, and reprogrammed to only using the A program for the 3 units being used... What could be the cause for the continuous Manual Start at 4pm??? Program A is the only one being used...

• PRO
    MrHIrrigation
    4 years ago

the manual start is not programmable. if you want a 4pm start on only certain days you need to set up program B or C.

• David Fulton
    4 years ago

Thanks for the response ... but, I have nothing programmed for B or C, It is a Manual start of program A at 4pm (with sprinkler icon showing program A what shows on the display ) running every day... nothing with B . C .....

• PRO
    MrHIrrigation
    4 years ago

it looks to me like you actually have two start times on program A. to get what I think you want you have to remove the 4pm start from program A and set program B station times, 4pm start time and the certain days you want.

• HU-67405783
    4 years ago

I am trying to reset by holding the buttons down and hitting the reset button but it will not reset. It does not go to 12:00. I

• PRO
    MrHIrrigation
    4 years ago

try removing the 9 volt back-up battery if it has one then unplug the clock for one minute and that should clear and reset to the factory default.

• HU-732404076
    3 years ago

If I set multiple programs but only want 1 to run and not both, can I do that. I have large dogs and want to water the area they use every morning in early AM to help dilute their liquid "fertilizer" to minimize brown spots . The other program I have for the entire yard, parkings, shrub beds, etc. is set for a few days a week early AM but I only want to use if it has been dry for awhile and the yard needs it. I also want it to run automatically so when I need to use it I can turn it on and let it start the next morning early in the AM. At least they way I have it set up now, both programs run.
    Thoughts?

• PRO
    MrHIrrigation
    3 years ago

the easiest way to do it is take off the start time on the program you don't want to run then add it back on when the weather dries out and your ready to start watering again.

• HU-732404076
    3 years ago

Thanks!

• aajshaw
    3 years ago

I bought a new hunter pro c controller since my led went out on first on. The new controller will let me set run times for all 7 stations but will only let me program 4. Any help would be appreciated.

• David Fulton
    3 years ago

I gave up on the Hunter, and bought a Rachio ... Rachio is a much better controller and very easy to install and program....

• PRO
    MrHIrrigation
    3 years ago

aajshaw, I think you may be confusing station run times and the programs those times are included in. each of the 4 programs can have any or all 7 stations with the option of multiple start times for each program.

• HU-969490419
    3 years ago

I have reset my program several times but it does not erase previous memory and it runs at random times. is there an 800 no to talk to some one to help understand, manual is very simple but not helping.

• PRO
    MrHIrrigation
    3 years ago

the way you will need to clear the memory is to remove any backup battery then disconnect the power for 1 to 2 min. This will clear the whole system so you can start over.

• HU-780810005
    3 years ago

Does anyoneknow how to get into the battery of a rain sensor for a hunter pro-c controller. —--—

Dann

• Ron K
    3 years ago

Hi - I recently seeded, and was told I needed to run my sprinklers every day for 20 minutes. So, rather than mess with my regular schedule, I decided to use program B. I set the program A start times to OFF for all 4, and set up program B, with one start time, but...on the "days to water", it shows every day as "blank". no rain drop, no rain drop with a slash, just blank. If I hit the up arrow, it changes to a rain drop with a slash and advances to the next day, and down arrow switches it back to blank. never get a rain drop. is this right, is this going to work as I expect?

(the manual doesn't mention blank, it only mentions rain drop or rain drop with slash!)

• Ron K
    3 years ago

well, I don't know if you should respond to your own post, but since no one replied, I thought I would post this in case anyone ever does a search for it:

It appears the program did work, with "blanks" where the rain drops would be. At least, the sprinklers ran this morning, so it looks like it worked. So there you go!

• Kta Jack
    2 years ago

Aug 11, 2021 : Hi everyone - we have the new Hunter Pro C - we had to reset it and now the start and run times are locked. It was working fine all week but it kept restarting so that's why we reset it to start over fresh. We can program only A 1 and that's it - the arrows are deactivated to move to the next program or start times or to add more time in the run time section. We rebooted everything including removing the inside bar to unlock/lock and remove the clip on the right for 20 seconds the did the reset. We also removed the battery and unplugged it - everything works fine with the exception of try to advance to another program or adding time to the run times. Can anyone help?

• HU-35236877
    2 years ago

I can't find the answer to this anywhere, so thought I'd try here. I have a Pro-C controller with 9 valves; a contractor installed it 4 or 5 years ago, and it's worked fine until last summer. It cycles through valves just fine until it gets to valve 8, at which time both valve 8 and valve 4 open. I've run the test for a short in the system several times, and it reports everything is ok. Ideas?

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus