Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjbiss66

Toro TMC-212 zapped by lightning

rjbiss66
17 years ago

My house took a major hit of lightning last week through the dog perimeter wire. Among the casualties my newly installed irrigation system controller, Toro TMC-212. The knobs and door were blown off the front and the power cord was fried and blown apart as well. The internal wires going to the valve modules were still intact but the other wires were loose so not sure where they go now.

My landscaper who installed it has been MIA for three weeks now so I am trying to reinstall this myself. I bought the new controller and the new modules. I have put in the new modules (removing old wires and putting directly into new ones one at a time to keep the zone order correct - hopefully.) I have also hooked up the power source - the display showed 12:00 so I assume I did this correctly.

I need help with the remaining wires. The system has 9 zones and two valve boxes so I have 5 (2 zone) modules in the controller. From each valve box comes a large black wire with many smaller colored wires contained within (most going to the modules). I have one spare blue wire which I believe would be zone 10 if I needed it. I have two white wires with copper exposed as if they were connected previously and I have two spare (small) black wires with no copper exposed possibly leading me to believe they were not connected previously...and I have one speaker type wire coming from the rain sensor. I assume these two sensor wire halves go into the sensor connector - one on each side? Can anyone tell me where the white and/or black wires go?? There are the three wire connectors on the left with two holes in each. The two wires from the power source went into the 24VAC labeled one. Do the two wires from each side of the speaker-type wire go into the sensor connector holes? The middle connector's two holes are labeled COM for the top one and MV Pump for the bottom. Do the white wires go here? I see instructions in my manual regarding Master Valve which is probably Pump MV. I haven't taken a peek in the valve box yet...will it be obvious if my system is set up with a master valve? I was thinking that possibly both white wires connect to the COM connection and the black wires to the MV Pump connection (if I have a MV). AM I EVEN CLOSE TO HAVING THIS RIGHT?!?

I realize my solenoids may have also taken a hit but I want to get this wired correctly to determine if the remainder of the system is working.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

P.S. Lightning sucks!!!

Comment (1)