Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluelogic

Identify unmarked sprinkler valves

bluelogic
13 years ago

Hello,

I have two Anti-Siphon Values that are leaking very badly. I cannot turn them off because they are directly connected to the main water line. Turning off the main water line would result in no water to the house. Attached are several pictures I took with a measuring tape to try and size them. I also noticed there is a drip filter installed.

1. I would like to know what size pipes I have?

2. How do I remove the drip filter attached to the value?

3. Can I install ball type shutoff values before the value inlet to allow me to service these without turning off the main? I have a water main key to turn it off at the street.

4. Should I extend the PVC 6" above the concrete to make servicing easier in the future?

5. Does the hack job look bad enough I should call a professional?

These pipes are not 6" above the sprinkler heads the person that installed them did a bad job. They also did not use high quality values and therefore the leaks in-between the diaphragm and the solenoid. My water pressure from the main is very high. At the house I have a pressure reducer installed.

http://yfrog.com/naimg0669rgjx

Thanks

Bluelogic

Comments (6)

• lehua49
    13 years ago

BL,

1. Here is a guess. 1" ID. Buy a 1" and a 3/4" inch pvc coupling and compare with your pipe.

2. Saw it off and extend it with couplings.

3. Yes, install the ball valves before your auto valve vacuum breaker combo. Do you have a place to get to the mainline before the two valves? Do you know where and can get to the tee connection point from your main waterline that comes from the street?

4. Good idea. extend with glued couplings.

5.You could do it yourself but a licensed professional contractor would guarantee his work. This forum could help you if you described your whole system in detail or showed a sketch of it.

The vacuum breaker should be above your highest head.

Aloha

• bluelogic
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Aloha,

Hey thanks for the reply.

1. I can't tell what will work unless I cut the pipe, but it would be a good idea to have both couplers.

2. The drip filter is attached right into the value.

3. The above ground split point is at the supply line for the house. There is a handle to trun water off the house but there is another line for the spinkler system that doesn't have value.

4. Can you go to high?

5. I think I'm going to ask a professional. If I hack this up I will have no water to the home and just what I really want a professional to tell me it will cost this much when I have no water to the house.

Thanks
    Bluelogic

• bluelogic
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Aloha,

Good news I don't have a drip system. The big black thing is a sediment filter. Go figure they installed it only on one value and not the other not sure why. I have very hard water in my area. Also I don't have a drip system because both values turn on sprinkler heads; however, I might convert my backyard to a drip system in the future because I removed all the grass but still want to water the trees without having to water the lawn. Right now I'm looking to do a quick fix to stop the leaking. I'm going to check outside to see if there is a water value shutoff somewhere in the ground. If there isn't can I install an inline ball type shutoff on each value inlet or will they blow-up being installed on SCH 40 PVC? Can I go higher than 6" inches? I was thinking of going 12" and filling the value cut in the concrete with wood chips.

I'm thinking of this design for the values. To be honest I can really care less about the sprinkler system since the lawn is so small. My problem is my water is metered and this is costing be 300 gallons a month.

Inlet--->Ball Value--12"-->sediment filter--->Value--->Sprinkler Heads

Thanks

Bluelogic

• lehua49
    13 years ago

Blue,

Here is a suggestion:

Cut both pipe> ..prime and glue on 1" pvc couplings on each pipe>..Prime and glue on a 12" pvc pipe piece on both pipes>..Prime and glue on a pvc 90 degree bend on each pipe>..prime and glue a 3" pipe piece in each 90 degree bend>..Prime and glue a 1" Ball Valve(slip 2-sides) to each pipe end>..Prime and glue a 3" pipe piece in each Ball Valve>..Prime and glue 90 degree bend to both pipe pieces>..Prime and glue on a 12" pvc pipe piece on both pipes>..attach to ends of the two pipes before they go beyond the sidewalk. After the sidewalk, install any drip filters, auto-valves, vacuum breakers you want in your drip system. Do not try to fit it all in such a confined space. Aloha

• bluelogic
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Aloha,

Wow. I was just looking to go up higher to provide easier access. I can't change the PVC pipes in the backyard without having the concrete torn out, all the PVC is underneath. I didn't know if I should have the filters installed. Is there any harm? Do I need them? Kind of the old saying if I'm cutting away at something I want to make the future easier. I figure I might go with a hybrid system in the future by changing back yard heads to bubblers.

Thanks
    Bluelogic

• lehua49
    13 years ago

BL,

Oh, well. Aloha

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?