Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
konrad___far_north

Pond /dugout is drying up??

Konrad___far_north
14 years ago

We have been in a drought for about 5 years and my pond is drying up, I only use it for the vegetable garden and some flowers.

Had it dug out close to 20 years ago, it's about 10 feet down in center, remember when it was dug, there was natural spring water coming in at the bottom ...had a idea to gain some extra water by going deeper, scoop out a hole about 8 feet in diameter and 8 feet down, then put about 2 feet of gravel, set a pipe in about 4 feet in diameter, have about 3 feet of pipe sticking out and fill with gravel.

Now I need expert advise, will a concrete pipe, something like a manhole stand up the freezing of the ice?

Will a slab of about a foot of insulation on top of water prevent from freezing?

Or will a plastic pipe be better,.. I know plastic doesn't last long.

What I would gain is, getting excess to the deeper water table and the water coming in from the bottom would be clean, so

I don't have to strain when sucking out. Perhaps have concrete pipe just about a foot above ground and go with plastic the rest?

Well...it looks like I need a pipe the total 10 feet high, otherwise when the time comes and water level is all the way up no debris can enter pipe.

Please advise

Konrad

Comments (2)

Sponsored