Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrea_san_diego

Looking for Overhead System

andrea_san_diego
15 years ago

I have a 20ft long lath house with outdoor orchids and have tried to install an overhead drip system. It sort of works but the emitters all spray in the wrong direction and some plants are left dry. I've tried several emitters from Home Depot but can never find anyone in the store that can help me with irrigation. I've got the hose system all hooked up and ready to go but need some new ideas.

Does anyone know where I can find the kind of emitters that would work in my situation?

Thanks,

Andrea

Comments (3)

• lehua49
    15 years ago

Hi Andrea,

Exactly what is it you are trying to do? The term overhead drip can mean many things. Usually they are used to describe two different ways to irrigate. Overhead is spraying the plants from above and drip is applying water just to the soil and roots zone. Do you want each pot to get a certain amount of water? Do you have continuous trays that would require a more general spreading of water? Do you want to fertilize with the irrigation system? Did you want to apply the water from above and sprinkle the plants and soil with irrigation? A more detailed description about your needs would clear up my confusion. What is your working water pressure and flow rate? Your previous problem may stem from the delivered water amount exceeding your systems capabilities.
    Someone else may chime in and know exactly what you need. Good Luck. Aloha

• andrea_san_diego
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I hope the photos help. I really didn't know the right terminology for what I wanted but I'll answer your questions.
    1. I want to spray water from above on all of the plants (not drip)
    2. All plants are in separate black nursery pots in a terraced arrangement.
    3. No fertilizing, just water.
    4. I do not know the water pressure and flow rate.
    As they are now the emitters can't be adjusted to spray the plants. The water seems to go everywhere except on the plants.
    {{gwi:334084}}

{{gwi:334085}}

• lehua49
    15 years ago

Andrea,
    Very nice set up. The picture really helps. You really need to determine pressure and flow. Do you take water from a hose outlet from the house or from your yard irrigation system? House pressure is approximately 40 psi. Irrigation system connected before the house is usually 60 to 70 psi( better). Run a hose from the source into a 5-gallon bucket and record the time it takes to fill up. You want to convert to gallons per minute. Buy a 10 dollar hose-end pressure gauge from a hardware store and measure the source pressure.

The system I would recommend would be 2 lines of 3/4" or 1" pvc pipe lateral lines connected together over the rafters with misters spaced between the rafters. The number of misters depends on your pressure and flow rate (gpm). This give you better coverage and the water runs down the plant into the soil. Place cups out to measure the depth of water the misters are putting out and this helps you figure out how long the system needs to run versus the coverage you need. GL. Aloha.