Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garyfx

What to expect for installation quote

GaryFx
9 years ago

We've asked two landscaping companies for a quote involving redoing our lawns, our front beds (from landscape design), and installation an irrigation system.

In both cases, we were surprised at the minimal information about the irrigation systems. One just gave us a dollar amount. The other included the number of heads. Neither gave any info on number of zones, design, brand, etc., let alone a plan showing the zones. When asked, they both said Rain Bird spray heads, and the second stated Hunter clocks and valves with PGP roto heads, so that's a start.

To be fair, the plot isn't terribly complicated - small mostly rectangular lawn in front, larger in back, and strips along a long driveway. There is a half-baked amateurish installation already in place that will have to be ripped out, but I'm not sure that really matters.

We've never had a sprinkler system before, so we're not sure whether this is the standard approach. I was expecting stuff like glossy fliers from manufacturers highlighting their control system choices, etc., along with at least a text summary of the number of zones and area, if not a zone plan drawing. Were our expectations totally off base?

Comments (5)

• irrigirl
    9 years ago

Some installers might provide you with such detailed information without having to ask, some might not. You just have to ask! This is your system, so if you want to see the mapped out plan, just ask. It will be useful for you to have a copy of or handwritten list of the parts (including model numbers) they are using. Later down the road, if you need to replace anything, you will want to know how old the product is, model number, warranty information, etc. If you can get a copy of the map, that would be wonderful for you later down the road. If you ever need to dig in your yard or do landscaping, you will want to know where everything is (pipes, heads, WIRES) so that no damage comes to your system. This kind of map will also come in handy if you ever sell your house, and need to pass the system along to someone else. A lot of customers never see or obtain a map for thier personal records, but it would be beneficial for you.

Some minor common issues you are going to run into are broken sprinkler heads, a stuck open valve, a valve leak, timer issues, etc. Most of these things you can easily fix yourself without having to pay your contractor to come back out and fix it (can be pricey). Most manufacturers provide customer service on these products when you run into a problem. In order for them to help you find replacement parts or troubleshoot, they will want to know the model of the product. You may also want to learn the PSI range in your yard. Knowing your water pressure's strength (PSI) will allow you to choose new kinds of nozzles and parts for your system if you ever need.

Another important thing you will want to know is where the main water shut off for the yard is. There will be a water shut off for your house and another for your yard. In the event of emergency, you will want to know where that is so you can avoid flooding.

Moreover, as a homeowner, you will want to research how a system works if you don't already know. The more you know about your system, the easier it will be for you to perform minor fixes and troubleshoot when a problem does arise. Rainbird has a really good learning center at the link below, as well as Sprinkler Warehouse's "Sprinkler School."

http://www.rainbird.com/homeowner/education/

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Sprinkler-School-Irrigation-Tutorials-s/5712.htm

• GaryFx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I appreciate the detailed answer. Unfortunately, various time constraints prevented us from doing much shopping around. In retrospect, if we had more time, it might have been better to first find an irrigation company and then ask them to recommend a landscaper, as I get the sense that the typical landscape company (owner plus manual laborers) isn't the sort who likes doing the sort of graph that the web sites recommend.

It came out ok, with the biggest problem being two spray heads that overlap, causing a section to be overwatered. I may adjust them down myself, but I'm not sure there's anything better because of the curve of that section. There's another area where my preference would be an edge-shaped sprayer instead of the rotor, because I really don't feel like watering my neighbor's lawn, but I think I'd have to replace the body to do that.

But the rear lawn, which had been full of weeds (morning glory, thistle, and the usual suspects) is looking great!

• irrigirl
    9 years ago

If you know the model or want to show us a picture of the heads that are overlapping, perhaps we can provide a solution.

• GaryFx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They're Hunter PGPs. But I think I'd have to get a decent drawing of the area for it to make sense.

• irrigirl
    9 years ago

A picture of the situation would be best. Are you able to upload a picture as they are running?

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler