Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
parafly9

Wells and irrigation systems

parafly9
16 years ago

OK, I have a new house that I bought with my wife in May. In July, we had an irrigation system installed for around 16,000 square feet of lawn.

WE have well water, and our current well is 650 feet deep with a 1hp pump. The well holds 500 gallons in the column and refills at a rate of 3gpm... not much.

Our PSI on our system is 55/35. Not sure about GPM. Because of the small water level and available pressure, our irrigation system consists of 14 zones, 3 heads per zone. I am renovating the lawn this fall and we have had almost no rainfall at all for over two weeks. My well always struggled a little bit but now I can barely keep my lawn damp and its irritating because I have to really play with the controls to get any kind of consistent water flow. Right now I have the irrigation system running the following schedule (remember these are new seeds...)(BTW it's a Hunter irrigation system)

6Am and 6PM Program "A", which is 15 minutes each Zones 1 thru 4

9AM and 9PM Program "B", which is 10 minutes each Zones 5 thru 9

12AM and 12PM Program "C", which is 10 minute each Zones 10 thru 14.

My well is really strugglint to keep up. It was running "ok" in the summer when it was raining. I could get a good 3+ hours of runtime out of the sprinklers before the pressure would die and I would basically run low on water. Now, I am running for twenty minutes and getting low. I think the well is just refilling at very slow pace - probably way less than 3gpm.

The well company came out and told me that they could dig an additional irrigation-specifi well for $5500. I thought this was ridiculous... but at the same point in time I already have a lot invested between the irrigation system and trying to have nice landscaping and plants. Plus, its annoying that my pressure in the house sucks because of running this system.

Im kind of at a loss for what to do. I also asked about deepening the existing well (would cost much more because a larger pump would be needed) or hydrofracturing (already done).

What options do I have? It seems like right now, with our 2+ weeks of no rain, I have to wait roughly 8-9 hours before the well refills or at least untill the pressure is strong enough again to actually lift the sprinkler heads out of the ground.

Ugh.

Comments (4)