Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lake Pump needs priming

Posted by tomh2007 NC (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 07 at 12:24

My irrigation system runs off lake water with a pump at the back of my yard, by the lake. Recently, each time I turn the pump on, I need to manually prime the pump to get the water flowing to the sprinklerheads. (This never had to be done previously) Once done, the system works fine. Any ideas or suggestions as to what may be wrong or how I can fix this problem so as not to have to manually prime it each time the pump is truned on? Thanks for anyone's input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lake Pump needs priming

tomh2007, it sounds as if the foot valve may be leaking or else there is a crack in the supply line. Either would cause the priming water to leak away when the pump is not in use. Upon start up, you prime the pump manually and establish a water flow. The pump then works well until it is shut down.

o
RE: Lake Pump needs priming

This is caused by a foot valve leak not by a crack in the pipe.If there was a crack in the pipe, even after priming the pump it would not work because it would draw air through the crack.
The leaky foot valve could be caused by any particle getting stuck in it so that it could not close fully, or due to age.
The former can be solved by cleaning it and the latter by replacement.
The next time you have to shop for a pump get a self-priming model, it does not need a foot valve. Or even better get one of those open well submersible models.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here