Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mooch91

Core aerating with new sprinkler system

mooch91
18 years ago

All,

Just had an in-ground sprinkler system installed. I have been very happy, finally being able to give my lawn the water it needs without spending hours a day setting up portable sprinklers.

In preparation for the fall recovery season, I was planning to core aearate and overseed with a better variety of seed to ensure that I get the best possible lawn results next year. Between the lack of watering this year and the sprinkler install, the lawn took a bit of a beating lately.

I am deathly afraid of running a core aerator over the lawn, however, for fear of puncturing the sprinkler lines. I know where the heads are and can easily flag them out, but I also know that there are a few areas of shallow lines in the yard. Much of the pipe was pulled using a trenchless puller, but there are areas where the pipe was hand dug to shallow depths to cross over drainage lines and other obstacles. Of course, there's the possiblilty there are other shallow areas I'm not aware of.

Should I take the chance with the aerator? Try to get the sprinkler contractor to accept accountability for any damage that might occur? Slit seed instead (tried this last year and was unhappy with the results)? Hand rake the yard and then drop seed? Looking for any recommendations you might have.

Thanks.

Comments (2)