Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drip irrigation or sprinkler system?

Posted by xoxosmom sunset 13 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 23, 08 at 16:52

Hi. We built a house a little over 6 months ago and our now finally getting around to landscaping. To cut costs we are doing as much as we can ourselves.

We have an area under the front windows and along the front of our house that we will be planting some shrubs and flowers in. It faces the west/full sun and in our area that wall takes a beating with our 100 deg plus summers.

It already has a pvc pipe plumbed in to tie into the sprinkler system we plan on installing on the other side of the driveway. Would it be best to put in a drip irrigation system or sprinklers? It is a narrow 3 x 15 feet flower type bed.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drip irrigation or sprinkler system?

Xoxosmom, I am not an expert, but I have been doing some research.

The decision of sprinkler Vs Drip is actually made on the basis of what type of plants are planned in the strip.

Veggies and like that need constant moisture do well with Drip. Large shrubs perhaps might benefit from sprinklers. Another consideration is, if your plants get completely drenched by sprinklers, it attracts slugs. If the plant planned has a trunk, then perhaps a sprinkler might be ok.

Also, since you are starting a new garden, how about planting some draught tolerant natives that need no water once established? Things like ground covers, native bushes/grasses etc.?

Just my 2c.

o
RE: Drip irrigation or sprinkler system?

Well you should use micro not just drip.I just retrofitted a system yesterday because the over head water causes fungus on alot of plants not just roses.We capped all the shrubs and put in a drip line.On the larger areas we added misters.We call this point source irragation.Lets say you plant a rose then some mondo grass.The rose needs more water so you have a few options.Use a bigger bubler or adustable flow heads.You can add more water just the one plant at the same time as you water every thing else.Plus there are no water restrictions in florida for micro because your putting the water to the roots and not wasting it on mulch or what not

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here