Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessicavanderhoff_gw

How the heck do I get the emitter into the tubing??

jessicavanderhoff
14 years ago

I'm using these:

With 1/4 inch tubing. The hole puncher isn't working at all. I can get a guide hole using a drill, but it sort of chews up the tubing around the hole, then when I try to push the emitter in, the tube just gets pushed down by the emitter and doesn't hold it. The ones I managed to shove halfway in are leaking.

Does anyone have a trick for this?

Comments (11)

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

With 1/4 inch tubing, stuff the barb into the end of the tubing.

If you need more than one emitter in an area, use _:_ fittings to daisy-chain several together, or use a loop of the 1/4 inch tubing that has emitters in it. And use end plugs if you don't end with an emitter.

• jessicavanderhoff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I do have one stuck on the end, but I need another emitter midway through the hose. I would like to avoid buying pre-drilled tubing, because I've already bought the other stuff (and my spacing isn't all that uniform, anyway) I suppose I could pick up some more t-pieces, cut the hose where I need the emitter, connect the two pieces with the t-piece-- add a little piece of hose onto the 3rd connector of the t-piece and attach the emitter to that?

• lehua49
    14 years ago

Jessica,

You got it. That is how I do it for young tree and potted plants. Aloha

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

Yes, use the T-fittings and a short chunk of spaghetti tubing if you need multiple drippers on a line.

• jessicavanderhoff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Excellent- I will give this a try. Thanks for the help!

• vgnurseryco
    14 years ago

jessica, those barbs can be tough to push in sometimes. It can often feel as though they would rather poke into your finger than the pipe.
    *pro-tip: use pliars to hold the barb (grab it where you won't damage the other side of the barb) and then push it in. You'll know when its in because it pops.

• jessicavanderhoff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That was one of the first things I tried. I even tried using one pair of pliers to hold around the tubing to try to keep it from collapsing and a second pair to push the emitter in. No luck- the barb was just too dull to push in. I ended up buying a box of t peices.

• vgnurseryco
    14 years ago

I think I understand now. You were trying to simply push the barbs into the poly pipe. With 1/2 or 3/4 pipe I myself am BARELY strong enough to do this, and I will often break barbs attempting to do so. There is a tool that pokes a hole first, then the barb pops right in. If you're strong enough to 'squish' that poly pipe, you're strength is clearly not the issue. You need to poke a hole first next time, but NOT TOO BIG, or it will leak. Like i say, there IS a tool, but you can use a small nail too.

"Understanding the concepts makes you an amateur.
    Knowing 'the tricks' is what makes you a pro."

• jessicavanderhoff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sounds like you're using different pipe. My tubing is soft. Maybe the issue is that I'm using 1/4 inch, so the walls of the tubing are not actually that far apart. I bought the tool, but I got the cheapo plastic version and it mashed the tubing too.

• twolips
    14 years ago

You can't put drippers into 1/4" tubing, only onto the end. You will have to do what you mentioned earlier with the T's and an additional piece of tubing.

• jessicavanderhoff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yep, thanks. I got a box of them, and am now just waiting for this dang snow to melt.