Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nachin_gw

Is this an avocado tree? pics inside

nachin
10 years ago

Hi guys, I just moved to this house and my friend told me I have an avocado tree. All leaves are getting brown from the tip till they fall dry. I don't know if they did not have water for long time or it has some kind of fungus. Also, is it an avocado tree?
By the way, I live in Los Angeles

Here are some pictures

Thanks!

{{gwi:334439}}
{{gwi:334441}}
{{gwi:334442}}
{{gwi:334444}}
{{gwi:334445}}
{{gwi:334449}}

Comments (9)

• lehua49
    10 years ago

na,

You might try the tree forum but I would say it is an avocado.
    Here is some YouTube vids and other links that might help you.
    Think about how roots are doing and what is affecting them.
    Three items to think about that affect roots.
    1. Proper watering- not too wet but not bone dry.
    2. Fertilizing with a proper fruit tree mix.
    3. Aerate the root zone to allow water, air and fertilizer to get to the roots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVVuDFXthvU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxwSmoIZ2aU

http://ucavo.ucr.edu/General/Answers.html

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/water/msg0813143610905.html

aloha

• nachin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info! Do you think the tree is dying? It's a very big tree and I started watering once a week since I moved in but the leaves are all falling. When I checked ph and nutrients was ph:7 nutrients: nothing so I added some fertilizer for citrus and avocado from Home Depot

Hopefully somebody else can share some info

• gregbradley
    10 years ago

That is an avocado. Probably a Fuerte.

Desperately in need of water, air, & fertilzer to the roots exactly as lehua said:
    "3. Aerate the root zone to allow water, air and fertilizer to get to the roots."

The pic looks like inland LA area so tree probably needs 50 gallons of water per day with the weather we have had recently.

Rip up that concrete!

This post was edited by GregBradley on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 18:41

• nachin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cool thanks Greg. I live in north hollywood and its pretty hot. 50 gallons per day? Also, how do I aerate the roots?

Let me know when you have a chance so I can revive it!

Thanks!!

• gregbradley
    10 years ago

Well that is a bit cooler and not as dry as I guessed looking at the flat land and wide open sky - or should I say not quite as hot as I thought. Still probably needs 35-40 gallons per day in typical July/August, less with the unusual humidity we have had lately.

Conventional wisdom on avos is nothing within the dripline except leaf litter, which you never remove. This promotes the soil conditions which allow the very shallow roots to have access to water and air that they need. I'm not familiar with all the details but understand that avo roots are very different than most trees.

I would think that covering much of the root area with concrete like I see in your picture seems incompatible with the tree thriving. One friend put crushed rock under his 20 trees and nearly lost them all, finally resulting in hiring a professional to save them.

Avos like lots of water but don't like their roots to be wet, one of the reasons many commercial groves were built on hillsides. Another friend had 80 trees on a hillside that was heavy clay but used to be a commercial growing area. He lost them all from too frequent watering. Because of the heavy clay, water would try to run off and he watered them lightly but often. They like to be watered deeply but the top should be fairly dry before watering them again. I'm not sure how you do that with the tiny area that isn't covered by cement. Hopefully someone will come along with more knowledge than me.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Check this out.

Here is a link that might be useful: California Avocado Commission - Growing Avocados

• lehua49
    10 years ago

na,

I. Avocados like lower PH than 7.0. they are more acidic like 6. Fertilize with a fertilizer that has sulfur in it. The asphalt and concrete surrounding your tree contributes to a higher Ph reading. Rock and concrete produce high Ph runoff.

2. Aerating the soil is to break up the surface and subsurface soil surrounding your tree. Raking the surface and poking deep holes with rebar or pitch fork tines will do the trick but not too much because because of the shallow roots. This is just to help the water percolate into the soil and not pond on the surface. Do this when the soil is dry not wet. Fill up your curb area around the tree trunk and let us know how long it takes to empty out.

3. Allow air to enter the soil between waterings for root health. Watering everyday will only work with fast draining soil.

JMHO Aloha

• nachin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry guys I was out of town.
    @lehua13
    I dont have the tool to aerating the soil but I took my sholve and carefully I move around all soil in the first 4 inches. I filled the the curb area with water in the afternoon on saturday and on sunday at the same time it was almost dry. I did it again and Monday at the same time was a little more wet because the temperature dropped like 10 degrees. It looks like it drains pretty good. Should I keep watering when the soil is dry only?
    How can I lower the Ph a little only? right now its at 7

Thank you guys for all the info provided. If I save it I'll mail you some avocados!

Let me know!

• lehua49
    10 years ago

na,

When you say the soil is dry. Is that what it looks like to you or are checking below the surface? I would assume that your tree is in a pot. Take a chop stick and probe the soil and see how moist the soil is below the surface. You need to water before the soil below the surface is very dry. Just don't water too much (soil saturated) so that air can move into the soil pores. between waterings. Add a small amount of garden sulfur and mix into the surface of the soil and water well. Check the Ph of the subsurface soil after a few days. If the Ph hasn't dropped add a little more until it does. A little at a time is most effective. JMHO aloha

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler