Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gutter Drain Pipe Make & Material???????

Posted by creek_side (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 14, 10 at 18:28

Our new house has buried (not deep enough) four inch downspout drains running out to the edge of the building site. I hit one while digging, and now I need to repair it. Trouble is, I don't know what this stuff is made of, let alone called. I've never seen anything like it before.

I know it came in sticks, not coils, and is at least semi-rigid. It is white on the outside and black on the inside. At least one end is belled. I don't remember if both ends were belled. It is lightly corrugated.

The damaged part is somewhat flexible. It is torn, not shattered. It feels like vinyl, but I have no idea exactly what it is.

The transitions from the downspouts are handled with what appears to be black PVC or ABS adapters, which are fastened to the pipe with screws. Where a 45 degree angle was needed, a white PVC adapter was inserted between the black adapter and the pipe. It was cemented to the pipe with a clear cement, probably PVC cement. The cement does not appear to be adhering properly to the pipe.

Does anyone have any idea what this stuff is called and/or what it is made of, and who might carry it?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gutter Drain Pipe Make & Material???????

Hi CS,

Don't know exactly what material. A poly vinyl combo of some sort. The reason is that it has corrugated strength on the outside and a smooth interior for better low sloping flow. Used for gravity flow applications such as your downspout drains. You didn't say if you have a somewhat level yard and long distance runs. that would be why it was used with such shallow invert depths. It can be repaired with black vinyl plastic drain tape or just a good wrapping of duct tape. It can be found at the any hardware store or the big boxers. Aloha

o

Never mind. It's triple wall high density polyethylene (HDPE) pipe. I found another hole in it, left by the clowns who did the final grade, so I dug up a long section and found all the markings.

Bottom line, it's about the same price as thin wall PVC, but costs less to install because the sections snap together, no cement necessary, saving labor.

Disadvantage, it's fragile and essentially unrepairable except by special mechanical fittings or pouring a concrete collar around the damaged section. Nothing really sticks to HDPE. The minimum mandatory bury depth is 12 inches for 4 inch pipe. Mine is about four inches down.

The builder saved money on labor and didn't bother to bury it at the proper depth. We have plenty of slope, so he was just lazy. I get to deal with the consequences.

o

Just get a piece of 4" corrugated drain tile and cut it longways on one side. Then you can snap it over the hole like a saddle. Then bury it. It's not a pressure pipe so this will be fine.

o

CS,

Well there you go per code. I still think duct tape will work find because of the flow pressure flow from the downspout. JMHO aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here