Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitykat44

overwatering neighbor

kitykat
10 years ago

This is a brand new subdivision with tiny lots. A neighbor moved in three weeks ago and is watering 4x/day. (Oh, and it rained 1 1/2" this morning!) The backyard lawns are 13 ' x 48'. He is the only other house on the street and three lots away, also a bit higher. The long (48') dimension of these yards slope towards a storm water inlet three lots away. Ultimately there will be seven homes along this line, his #2, mine #5.

My yard is a perpetual bog, with continual seeping from his rear irrigation. I cannot walk across the yard without sinking. While I have sent a note to the Developer/HOA (a bank) to meet and discuss the problem, I am reading what I can about others' experience.

The HOA rules require grass, but the mowing company cannot mow the back for several weeks now... too wet. An additional 13' of property was to be a drainage swale, but height disparity with another acreage to the rear made the developer construct a retaining wall. Now the 'swale' is in front of the wall and 6' of my little yard.

I understand the law prevents obstructing the 'natural flow of water' and assume this applies to naturally occurring, ie: storm water, as in from Mother Nature. But, what does one do about man produced water flow? Can one person make another's yard un-useable? Anyone with ideas or experience?

I have only met the neighbor briefly, but have observed some of his actions across the yards. He is brusk and semi-sarcastic, seems to be someone who does as he pleases. I think the HOA 'helping' him with appropriate sprinkler settings might be better than some woman asking him to please stop flooding her yard.

If they will not take up the challenge, what next?

Help please???

Comment (1)