Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dwyerkg1

Is there a way .......................

dwyerkg
17 years ago

I have a house that seperates a large portion of land in my yard. Is there a way to put irragation under the driveway to get to the "island" without teraing up asphalt?

Thanks

Comments (4)

• hookoodooku
    17 years ago

You bore a hole under the driveway.

While you can hire someone to do this for you, it's possible for DIY person. But depending upon soil conditions, it can be pretty easy or EXTREAMLY DIFFICULT. You might want to consider getting someone to do it for you. I did it my self going under an 11' wide driveway and it took me about 30 - 40 hours of work because of tight quarters and clay dirt filled with tiny sharp rocks.

To DIY, dig trench on either side of the driveway. "Drill" a piolet hole in the soil using a 20' piece of rebar hammered in with a small sledge hammer. You might want to start with a 4' piece of rebar and carefully make sure you start your piolet hole nice, strait, and level. Once you've got a piolet hole, increase the size of the hole by driving black pipe through the hole. A 3/4" fitting on black pipe is just the right size to insert a piece of 1" copper tubing. Give the pipe a "point" to it by using a 3/4" to 1/2" reducer on the front of the pipe and then plug the 1/2" end with a 1/2 nipple. If you need to place controller wire under the driveway as well (which will be the case if this one 1" copper pipe is a main and you need multiple circuits on the other side), use the 20' rebar to drive a 2nd hole under the driveway and place controller wire directly in that hole.

• mikie_gw
    17 years ago

I jetted a 1 inch pcv for sprinklers under my concrete two car driveway with a 14/2UF attached for a post lite. Wasnt a big deal in my soil. Maybe 15 minutes.

• eltigre
    17 years ago

Clay soil here in my part makes for it to be a BIG deal... sandy soil sounds not too bad to go through. What type of material are you dealing with?

• mikie_gw
    17 years ago

Gray dusty colored sandy soil. Huge Maple tree 15 feet down the driveway on the exit side. Tall Norfork Island pines on the entry side. I was concerned about roots at the surface under the drive but didnt hit any. Was prepared to rent a concrete saw and get a mason(friend) fix it if need be later.

House was about 20 yrs old. Florida. Was using 20 foot lengths of 1" schd 40 - forget what I glued on the end, nothing special but imagine I reduced it to half inch temporarly to squirt with better pressure. Duct taped 14/2UF to it. Missed my straight thru exit point on the other side of the drive by maybe a foot. Borrowed pvc heat gun bent a nice wide offset, to get the pipe back on path. First shove went down or something, second shove bubbled up at exit on the lawn.
    Added 4 nelson brass popup heads.. one day done deal.

2 of us greenhorns in 300 feet of that pipe that day. 4" wide 4hr rental trencher, had to go back and rent an axe for lots of roots, which wasted some time, 20 min drive each way. Glued everything up - Couple submarine sandwich's and maybe a case of bud, done.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner