Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alge issues in irrigation water

Posted by Rio_Grande none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 21:54

We irrigate using ibc containers to feed drip irrigation system. Our tanks keep getting alge in them. I have been treating with chlorine and dumping them after they sit for a couple days but I seem to have a stubborn case in one of them. Is there any other recommended methods to get rid of it short of limiting light? The water comes from a municipal water source.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alge issues in irrigation water

RG,

Check out Copper Sulfate. It is used to control algae growth:

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/cuso4gen.html#whatis

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/carbaryl-dicrotophos/copper-sulfate-ext.html

Read all the facts. Aloha

o
RE: Alge issues in irrigation water

Copper sulfate may be hard on your plants. Do your research.

Limiting the light is the best way. If the containers are P.E. you can paint them with latex paint. Sand lightly first.

Also, keep crud (leaves, grass, bird crap) out of the water. This 'fertilizes' the algae.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here