Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colmjkenny36

New Drip System- Advice please

Colm
14 years ago

Hello,

I'm in San Diego, on the coast. Just installed drip tape on my 6 raised vegetable beds (2 beds- 4' wide/4 rows, 4 beds- 3' wide/3 rows). The tape had emitters every 12". So the installation guide said if there is less than 24" between rows, do one line in between, which suggests these will water 12" on either side of the line. We don't have more than 8"-10" between any two rows, so I've run a line every other row, which according to their instructions is more than enough.

When I ran the system for the first time I noticed that the visible surface wet spots from the emitters were about 12" diameter (so wet along the entire line, and 6" either side). For some lines, the wet spots did not make it to the vegetable row, even though it was well less than 12" to the row. I have 2 questions:

1) Even if the wet spot doesn't make it to the row, will the water spread further below the surface and reach the rows?

2) I only planted my vegetables about 3 weeks ago, so they are all seedlings or still seeds. I understand when they are older their roots will will be spread and deep enough to reach the wetspots. But do I also need to hand water the rows that are not getting the wet spots until they are past seedling age?

Thanks much!

Comments (3)