Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wouldbegreen

How To: Set Up Misters On Seedling Shelf ???

WouldBeGreen
12 years ago

Ok.

I have recently set up a grow shelf in my basement, as I had a *horrible* time starting 1020 flats outdoors this year (shelf flipped upside down in wind, seeds burned up a couple of times, inconsistent germination, etc etc) ...

So now this is what i have:

1 72hx24dx48w shelf (http://tinyurl.com/seedshelf1)

2 Shelves being used so far.

Shelf 1 Has:

2 48in single tube t12 bulb fixtures on one shelf

1 20x48 seed mat

Shelf 2 Has:

1 48in 6tube Hydrofarm "designer" T5 fixture

1 20x48 seed mat

Lights are strung on both shelves with chain attached to the largest gauge 36" rod that would run through the holes at end of shelf. The 2 single T12s are very close to the seeds (maybe 3 inches) and the T5 is about 5 inches over flats.

All seeds start on Shelf 1 and move to Shelf 2 when when first true leaf appears on first seedlings. Both mats stay on 24\7 (literally haven' turned them off since i started, but would like comments on this)

What I am after is a method of rigging these two shelves with some form of misting system. I plan on using some Wolman to seal the plyboard shelving before doing this so they don't degrade, and I use a spray bottle right now and have had no problems with intermittent moisture hitting either of the ballasts. All electrical runs through a GFCI protected plug attached to the 3prong outlet (outlet itself not GFCI) ... so I'm not too worried about electrical issues with water.

I just can't figure out how to get a mister set up over these things. I have a spare timer, filter, pressure regulator and general micro\drip tubing and supplies, but don't know what would be an appropriate nozzle to run in to the tubing for this application, or how to rig the set up. Also not sure what the implications are for running irrigation UP a shelf. Water pressure out of my faucet at the in from the well is VERY good and flow is like 10gal\min + ... so high i am almost concerned about it being too high for the regulator ... but i don't know if you can run irrigation (even with just a mister or 3) UP 2-5 feet of shelving.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I am having a HECK of a time getting consistent results with either bottom watering, a spray bottle, or a combination of both. I either drown them, or drought them. The 6tube T5 in particular runs MUCH hotter than I had hoped (i thought these things were COOL, dagnabit! now i'm keeping 2 tubes OFF and only 4 on, until anything starts to look spindely) Either way lots of my seedlings keep dying somehow. I would at LEAST like an automated mister as a FAILSAFE, to run once a day for a minute or two. Lol.

Any ideas?

THANK YOU

-Nick-

Comment (1)

• lehua49
    12 years ago

Nick,

Google irrigation misting systems. There are plenty to choose from. Aloha

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting