Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanama_gw

What's the simplest way to do this?

tanama
16 years ago

My apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum, but I didn't see any that seemed more appropriate.

I am looking for the simplest possible way to connect something to the spigot on my house that I can then use to run a buried freeze-proof pipe or hose to the back of my long back yard, ending in something that will allow me to attach two hoses (one to stay inside the fence, one to snake under the fence for my veggie garden on the other side). I still need to be able to attach a regular hose to the spigot on my house, though.

I'd like to do this without disturbing the current plumbing, so it needs to begin with something that I can attach to the existing faucet.

So,

1. What would be the simplest way and best materials/device to use to turn my single spigot into a double - one for a hose there at the house, one to attach something that will then be buried and run to the back of the yard. I've seen things you can attach to an outdoor spigot that then gives two hose attachments, but I want to be sure to get one that isn't going to start leaking after one season, so I'm willing to pay for quality.

2. What would be the best materials/methods to use to run a buried hose or pipe from that spigot to the back of the yard. It needs to be something that I can leave buried all year without worrying that it will freeze/crack. Note: I don't mind doing some plumbing/piping to get this done, but I just don't want to change the existing plumbing - I want to start with something attached to and removable from the existing spigot. Info on how deep I'd need to bury this, and whether there's anything I'd need to put in the trench to protect the hose/pipe is also appreciated!

3. What can I attach it to at the other end to create a secure double-spigot for two hoses? FYI I am open to something free-standing, but would prefer to attach it to the fence or garage wall, just to make mowing and storing the hose easier.

FYI, my plan is to continue doing what I do now: Keep the water on all the time, and control it with good-quality spray handles at the end of the hoses that I regularly check for leaks. Oh, and of course turn the water off and disconnect and drain the hoses in the winter. I won't have any way to drain the buried pipe/hose though, so that's why I need materials and methods advice.

I hope this isn't too confusing! Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (3)