Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Redo and addon sprinkler system backfill question

Posted by stompoutbermuda Z8DesertSunsetZ11 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 7, 12 at 14:00

Here in the desert, during the winter we get freezing down to 1 foot acording to our building dept. Ever since last spring, I have been adding more zones and replaced some pipe in the original zones that were exposed to sun. Never before have any of these original systems froze, so for my additional pipes I made sure to make them slightly lower then the originals. Now it is time to backfill all the trenches. But I wanted to backfill with compost however, my brother tells me that I might have freezing problems if I do that.... My brother is well known for teezing me and giving me a hard time, so Im not sure if this is true or not... IF it is true, then what would you pro's suggest to protect my pipes? I had 2/3s of the original dirt hauled off already...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Redo and addon sprinkler system backfill question

stomp,

So what depth are they to be buried? Aloha

o

I have been burying them just slightly below the original pipes... about 13-14"

o

sob,

The usual specification is to make sure there are not rocks in the trench under your pipe, usually one places a compacted sand bed then you backfill your pipe with non-expansive soil(non-organic)and compact the backfill around and over the pipe. This is to keep unnecessary stresses off the pipe and keep the pipe in place. The pipe will actually float up if the area is saturated when the pipe is not full. You can omit the sand bed but it makes the trench bottom level to support the full pipe length. GL JMHO Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here